Importance of camo

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Importance of camo

Post by WillysDad » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Howdy All, First, I'm a new guy. I'm Chris, I live in Teton Valley,ID.

How important or not do you all feel camo is for rifle hunting elk and mule deer?

What type of camo do you prefer if needed?

Chris
The more people I meet the more I prefer dogs!

Avs man
Spike
Spike

Re: Importance of camo

Post by Avs man » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:54 pm

Its really important because it makes you look cool walking in the gas station after a hard mornings hunt.
I spend Half my money on Huntin, The rest I just waste!

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Post by WillysDad » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:21 pm

Avs man wrote:Its really important because it makes you look cool walking in the gas station after a hard mornings hunt.
Well, I'm hopeless then. I didn't look cool in cami's in the Corp #-o

Chris

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:16 pm

WillysDad ::wel to Muley Madness... when you get a minute tell us about yourself on the campfire forum.

I do not bother spending much on camo anymore playing the wind ,scent control and not moving to much will get you closer to to more animals than camo.

I do not understand having fancy camo if you have to wear a orange hat and vest anyway. There are some types of hunting that camo is more needed for concealment such as coyote hunting possibly antelope hunting and of course duck and turkey hunting.

For bow hunters camo may play a more vital role in helping them be more successful, but for the most part I dont think camo makes as much difference as hunting smart and knowing the habits, strengths & weaknesses of the animal you are hunting.

Having good quality clothing that keeps you warm, dry and wicks away moisture is key no cotton stuff unless it is a hunt in dry weather. Most good hunting clothing is going to come in camo patterns anyway so pick good clothing that fits your needs and is durable and get the pattern you desire.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:42 pm

I've never owned anything camo. For bow hunting it might be a good idea, don't know, don't bow hunt. For rifle hunting I just wear soft non-solid colors. Stay off skylines and try to keep country to break up your outline behind you.

cjohnson3006
Spike
Spike

Post by cjohnson3006 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:24 pm

I dont hardly wear camo, even when bowhunting. I usually wear a mask while bowhunting on the ground to cover the whites of my eyes and a long sleeve shirt with "earthy" colors like brown and tan and I typically wear blue jeans. I used to wear head to toe camo, but I hunt a lot after I get home from work and got tired of wasting time changing or wearing camo to work. I always play the wind and sun, and feel I am very successful in the field.

AJ
Fawn
Fawn

Post by AJ » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:47 am

Another vote for camo being over rated. Unless you are a camo company, it will not do much for most big game hunting. Most of the benefit from hunting clothes, is the insulation, cut and fit, and storage that has evolved over the years. I feel as confident in military BDUs as I do in any of the commercial camo patterns. When I need hunting clothes, I buy what's on sale.

Avs man
Spike
Spike

Post by Avs man » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:55 pm

I think the new scent control camo is important in bowhunting success just because of the scent control, I can see it also letting you blend in to your surroundings better but, Animals see movement and outlines really well so even with camo you outline is still the same.
I spend Half my money on Huntin, The rest I just waste!

AJ
Fawn
Fawn

Post by AJ » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:26 pm

Avs man wrote:I think the new scent control camo is important in bowhunting success just because of the scent control
That also is a big debate among seasoned hunters. At one time I thought it was an asset, now, I know differently.

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Post by WillysDad » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:35 am

AJ wrote:That also is a big debate among seasoned hunters. At one time I thought it was an asset, now, I know differently.
Share what you know A.J. =D>
Last edited by WillysDad on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.