Poly bullets

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Poly bullets

Post by WillysDad » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:54 am

Has anyone ever hunted with poly coated bullets?
Winchester Ballistic Silvertips most specifically?
The more people I meet the more I prefer dogs!

AJ
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Poly bullets

Post by AJ » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 am

Oh yeah, I have used the original Nosler Ballistic Tip in both varmint and big game versions, Hornady V-Max (varmint), SST (deer), and the Interbond (big game). I have also used the Swift Scirocco (big game) in 300 Wby, 338/284 and 338 Win Mag. While I like the high BC of the poly tip, they do open up faster than a standad lead tipped bullet.

The Accubond, Interbond, and Scirocco hold together pretty well even with magnum velocity. If I was shooting at something bigger than elk, I would stay away from them. Even on elk, I think I will wait for a broadside shot when using poly tipped bullets. IMO, the Nosler Ballistic Tip and the Hornady SST should not be used on criters larger than caribou. They open too fast and do not haev the penetration needed for larger thicker game.

The Barnes Tipped TSX may be ok, but at the price, I have no reason to use them when there are other great performing bullets on the market for a lot less $. The new Nosler E-Tip is a similarly constructed all copper bullet. Its a tad cheaper also.

The Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip is just a standard Ballistic Tip bullet with crap on the outside designed to lube the bullet as it speeds down the bore. I would not use them on anything larger than caribou.

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Is he asking about poly coated or poly tipped bullets? I haven't heard of anyone selling poly coated but moly coated are made.

I've never used poly tipped bulletsn big game. Seem's to me that the tip will be driven into the core like a splitting wedge. Now on the Barnes X type bullets, I could see a definate advantaage to the tip. It would insure that the tip would open on impact rather than closing as some have been reported to do. I've never shot game with premium bullet's other than Hornady, Speer and Sierra, all cup and core w/exposed lead tips.

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Post by WillysDad » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:48 pm

Don Fischer wrote:Is he asking about poly coated or poly tipped bullets? I haven't heard of anyone selling poly coated but moly coated are made.
The Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip has a polycarbonate jacket.
Anyway, I found out that the bullet has rapid fragmentation qualities and destroys whatever it goes through. A person on another forum told me he used them for quite a few seasons and got tired of all the meat loss. On one occasion he hit a mule deer in the shoulder and the round destroyed both shoulders beyond recovery. :>/ Many other folks have relayed similar stories.

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:05 pm

WillysDad wrote:
Don Fischer wrote:Is he asking about poly coated or poly tipped bullets? I haven't heard of anyone selling poly coated but moly coated are made.
The Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip has a polycarbonate jacket.
Anyway, I found out that the bullet has rapid fragmentation qualities and destroys whatever it goes through. A person on another forum told me he used them for quite a few seasons and got tired of all the meat loss. On one occasion he hit a mule deer in the shoulder and the round destroyed both shoulders beyond recovery. :>/ Many other folks have relayed similar stories.
I've heard the same thing and am not suprized. That tip might make the bullet more streamlined but is also driven into the core hard. I used the 75gr V-Max in my 243 for a preditor load and the bullet was blowing up going thru a paper target. I wonder if it would even exit a coyote? wonderfully accurate too.

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Post by WillysDad » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:54 pm

Don Fischer wrote: wonderfully accurate too.
No kidding
Attachments
Silvertips, quarter size group off my backpack on a bench at 200 yds.
Silvertips, quarter size group off my backpack on a bench at 200 yds.