Question

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Question

Post by MULEY7MM » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:46 pm

I seen a post on another forum of a guy that shot a 34" buck with a 6" dropper just this last season he got to the buck and field dressed him and ran out of light so he tucked the deer under a tree and went back to camp until the next morning when he came back to where his deer was he could not find it so he went back to hunting and shot another deer is this poaching?
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

waynedevore

Re: Question

Post by waynedevore » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:01 pm

What was the reason he couldn't find it? Was it stolen? Did he not mark or lose the location?
I guess that is all beside the point. He is poaching.

basingater
2 point
2 point

Post by basingater » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:03 pm

For sure is poaching I have spent many nights hauling out critters as i am sure most people on this forum has.....

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:11 pm

He claimed a mountain lion got it. When i got the deer in my avatar it was right before dark and we stayed and got the job done. We had to hike out in the middle of the dark but we was prepared with head lamps ECT
Last edited by MULEY7MM on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:30 pm

I know what it is like to have to leave a animal, just before dark and bring it out next morning. I left a good antelope [long time ago] found only bits and pieces and the backbone and skull next morning. I felt terrible.
I've been forced to leave a carcass few times since.
It has worked for me. Take off my sweaty, stinky undershirt. Place it over the carcass. Have not lost a overnight critter after that.Image

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:03 pm

I would have to say that it's poaching. BUT, that is something that the game department would have to decide I guess.

Yea, I have never left an animal before. I know a lot of folks that have without any issues whatsoever...but I was always scared that 'yotes or something would have gotten to it.

I LOVE the t-shirt trick though!

bullelk
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bullelk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:45 am

If he tagged the animal as most states require, he would be poaching if he shot another one without a tag. If he didn't tag the first animal he broke another law (at least in my state). Either way its wrong. I killed an elk at dark last weekend and did what it took to get it out that night. It is hard work but as hunters it is our obligation to finish the job and get the meat out of the woods and into our possession.

jarvis243
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jarvis243 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:00 am

First, I guess thats a pretty good reason why we should carry lights with us cause not everything can be done in the daytime. Second, if i shot a buck that big i would at least strap the head on my backpack and whatever else i could take.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 am

No kidding Jarvis.... I haven't left an animal over night yet but if I really had to I would take the head and as much meat as I could pack out. Really I can't beleive that someone would post that they did that on a public forum considering it is poaching. Oh well I guess....
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:45 am

ya kidding me, a 34" buck and dropper would never be left over night by me.