Barnes Triple Shock

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
JBird
Monster
Monster

Re: Barnes Triple Shock

Post by JBird » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:47 pm

I don't know what to tell ya, there TSX's and thats what happened they are the Federal Premiums, normally don't shoot factory loads but the state of Arizona bought them for me so Condors wouldn't die from lead poisioning. But anyway from what I've heard they should perform the way you are describing I don't know why mine didn't.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Sounds like they substituted some other bullet,I dont even know how you could get a TSX to perform like that if you wante to.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:24 am

I read an article a year or so ago about the Barnes bullets and some problems they had with erratic performance and the writer (Brian Pearce I believe) attributed it to quality control problems with the copper vendor. It was said that the newly manufactured bullets are okay because Barnes had the problem cured with it's supplier. I had one instance myself early on where a Barnes bullet broke the shoulder bone of a mulie and took a 90 degree turn and went out the bottom of the chest. He went a ways before expiring. No other problems ever though. Ross Seyfried (Rifle Magazine) also reported some troubles with the early manufactured bullets but that was many years ago. If you think about it getting a copper bullet to do what the Barnes bullets do is quite a metalurgical trick. I think they do a fine job. I've had lots more trouble with other brands of bullets.
Mark

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:17 pm

I have been reloading the TSX in my .300 mag for three years. Every thing I have hit with them has died. I get a small hole in and back out with almost no meat damage. The noslers I used before were extremely accurate but made so much terminal damage that meat loss was terrible with lead, polymer and copper fragments all through it. With the TSX, I have never recovered a bullet even from the moose and bears I have shot. I get less than an inch group using the 180 grain bullets at 100 yards and have made kill shots out to 588 yards. I will say that I could not get them to fly right in my old 7mm mag but the 30 caliber bullets are perfect. For anyone interested, I use 70 grains of 4350 powder, Nosler cases, federal primers and the 180 grain TSX. I get consistant 3100 FPS out of this load. It is a little hotter than what the Barnes manual calls for but does not flatten out the primers or seperate the brass. You can't go wrong with the TSX, Just my 2 cents.
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

Malloy805
Spike
Spike

Post by Malloy805 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:38 am

JBird wrote:I don't know what to tell ya, there TSX's and thats what happened they are the Federal Premiums, normally don't shoot factory loads but the state of Arizona bought them for me so Condors wouldn't die from lead poisioning. But anyway from what I've heard they should perform the way you are describing I don't know why mine didn't.
We can't shoot lead around here because of the condors starting this year. I have an Arizona #23 late elk tag , south of the mogollon rim. Does anyone know if I will be required to shoot Barnes Bullets. Don't recall seeing it in the regs. :-k

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:10 pm

On page 56 of the 2008-2009 Hunting and Trapping regulations it says it's voluntary so far ( they warn it may be necessary to pass a law!!! ) to help save the condor from it's leading cause of death which is lead poisoning. So sad. I guess copper is good for them. We'll be hunting in unit 12 with lead bullets this year. Grand Slams to be exact. Why can vultures sustain eating lead from gutpiles and unrecovered animals and not die? Or is it that no one can love a vulture? Or is the lead problem from another source that has not been identified? go to http://www.azgfd.gov/condor for more info.
Mark

Malloy805
Spike
Spike

Post by Malloy805 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Mark,
Been shooting the same load out of my .338 for a long time and do not want to change it on such a short notice. As usual the closer to the opener, the more Murphy starts showing his face :tz
Thanks
Steve

utahpredator_7
Spike
Spike

Post by utahpredator_7 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:00 pm

I've shot 3 deer with them. One was a buck, running towards me at 80 yards. Ist shot in the chest/base of the neck, ended up in the back of his guts. Second shot (40 yards) hit a fence wire, smashed the cavity shut, then the bullet proceed to tumble through the side of the deer's ribcage, straightened out, smashed the femur, and was found just under the skin on the haunch. Second was a doe at 525 yards, the bullet was fully expanded by the time it made it through her neck, she dropped on the spot. #3 was a doe at 400 yards. 1st shot went behind one shoulder, out though the other shoulder, dropping her. she got up, and the next shot went in the base of her neck, and exited out her guts on the other side. I was shooting a 25 WSSM, 47.5 Grns W760, max is 48.5, these were pretty stiff loads but very accurate, .75" @ 100 yards. I payed 67 bucks for 100 bullets instead of 30, but they did lots better than the stupid Nosler Bt's I shot my Utah buck with.
We should let druggies overdose, gays get married, and in a couple generations there would be no more democrats!

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:50 pm

Here is a 168 grain 30 cal TSX I dropped a 6X6 bull with at 250 yards a few years ago (300WSM). I felt this small lump on the opposite shoulder from the entry and dug it out. Pretty much speaks for itself.

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:51 pm

I have been loading Barnes for many years in all my rifles and have never had one single problem with them.By far the best bullet on the market.