Post by MULEY7MM » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:08 am

Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Re: Its here

Post by kinzysdad » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks for posting. I just read it and have a headache. My son is 14 and this will be his first year hunting. Aplications are going to suck this year. Ha ha ha, he's going to have to get a job if he draws.
Again, thank you for posting that.
Justin
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:24 pm

I agree with kinzy's dad, thanks for posting.

Question about the new dedicated hunter requirement of 40 service hours. I performed 8 of the 24 required last year to get my first tag. I wonder if i'll be doing 32 hours instead of 16 this year to get my second tag. I'm not lazy, I know the extra hours go to a good cause, I just want to minimize the weekends that I spend away from family.

My brother did all 24 of his hours last year. I wonder if he'll be doing 16 more to get a tag this year.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:15 pm

As far as what I read.. If you signed up and were inthe program you are only required to do the 8 hours that you agreed to do at the time you signed up. When your 3 years expires and you have to re-apply for the program you will then have to commit to the 40 hours..

40 hours is a lot compared to what it was. I wonder if this will lessen the amount of people that try to get into the program? What are others opinions? I know for me no matter how hard the requirements get I would still do the program. I love the chance to get in the hills and go for large class mule deer. A kill isnt all that important to me. I just finshed my 9th year in the program and have only killed 3 bucks in those 9 years. Just wondering what others think, and if some just join the program to guaurentee them a tag... I know alot of people that do that.. Go out and kill 2 bucks the first 2 years regardless of size and sit out the 3rd.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:19 am

heshen wrote:As far as what I read.. If you signed up and were inthe program you are only required to do the 8 hours that you agreed to do at the time you signed up. When your 3 years expires and you have to re-apply for the program you will then have to commit to the 40 hours..

40 hours is a lot compared to what it was. I wonder if this will lessen the amount of people that try to get into the program? What are others opinions? I know for me no matter how hard the requirements get I would still do the program. I love the chance to get in the hills and go for large class mule deer. A kill isnt all that important to me. I just finshed my 9th year in the program and have only killed 3 bucks in those 9 years. Just wondering what others think, and if some just join the program to guaurentee them a tag... I know alot of people that do that.. Go out and kill 2 bucks the first 2 years regardless of size and sit out the 3rd.
Heshen,

I agree that the 40 hours might lessen the number of people signing up. I've been on dedicated service projects where I worked 5 hours and was credited 8. I've also been on ones where I worked eight hours provided gas, generator, materials, and equipment with the promise of extra hours but only been credited the 8 hours. All works out in the end, but 40 is a lot of time to donate, especially when drive time and other costs are generally not credited towards your hours.

I was in the program for three years the first time it opened. On the first year of that hunt I missed an absolute monster on the muzzleloader. I think that either made me more of a dedicated hunter or ruined me. During those three years I passed on several bucks that were way better than anything I've shot before. I went the first three years with no filled tag.

I am in my first year of the second three year term. The buck I took this year made up for the no tag fulfilment of the first three year program. I had lowered my expectations and was planning on not going home without at least a meat buck during this second round of the dedicated program. Now that I've got a good one, I have a couple of year to try for another good one.

A big motivating factor in re-uping for the program is the fact that I can get a southern tag to hunt the same canyon my family has hunted for 21 years. The three years between my two dedicated hunter programs reulted in only one general season tag and no LEs. That is a big part of the lure to join the dedicated program.

It's long, but you did ask for opinions. :))
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:40 pm

yah.... i know that I will do the dedicated hunter program no matter what.. I just wish it wasnt going to a draw system. I feel that those that really have a passion for it the most will sign up the quickest. I get sick of whiners who dont dedicate themselves as much as others to hunting and the outdoors complaining when they dont get tags.. If it mattered that much to you, you had a fair oppurtunity to do it first!! I could see a draw if the program filled in one or 2 days, but its usually well over a week...But overall Im glad they kept the program around, Ive seen it benefit the wildlife and more hours onl equalls better habitat for the wildlife.. I think they should make the whole system where you have to give something back to the wildlife in order to get a tag.. Would make for more educated hunters and would help the wildlife.. just my two bits

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:53 pm

I agree. Last year when my hunting group signed up for the dedicated hunter program it was within the first hour that the COR cards were available. We had heard that the quota would likely be filled so we wanted to assure ourselves of one of the available spot. Guess we'll have to get lucky next time around. I can see where I've learned more about hunting and the wildlife management process by participating in the program. You learn a lot at a RAC meeting. Some of the projects teach you a lot also. I plan on sticking with the program. Heshen do you put in regularly for LE deer tags? How do LE tags affect your dedicated hunter status?

VolunteerProgram
Fawn
Fawn

Post by VolunteerProgram » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:58 pm

For clarification on the recent changes to the Dedicated Hunter Program…If you are currently in the program (pre-2009) you only have to complete the 24 service-hours in effect when you signed up. If you have not already completed the RAC requirement, you must complete the online "Wildlife Conservation & Ethics" course available in March. Once you expire and re-enroll, you must adhere to the new requirements, whatever they may be at that time. As of 2009, participants must complete 40 hours & the online “Wildlife Conservation & Ethics” course (Year 1: 16 hours, Year 2: 16 hours, Year 3: 8 hours). All requirements must be completed by October 1st in the 3rd year of enrollment to be eligible for a loyalty point.

To answer the question about LE tag from NotEnufTags. If a DH draws out a limited entry tag, they forego that year in the program. For example: if you are in your 2nd year of the program and you’ve drawn a great LE tag and decided to use it. If you’ve already received your DH tag, the first thing you must do is surrender it then go hunting on your LE tag, DURING the specified dates. You pass up the opportunity to hunt all 3 hunts in your 2nd year and move on to your 3rd year. As simple as that.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks for the clarifications!

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:36 am

Yah.. Im realy hoping I draw for the dedicated hunter program this year. I am pretty sure I will draw my limited entry archery hunt on the pauns.. I just checked the DWR website at 12:02 am to see if I could apply for the DH Program yet, but it wasn't up and running yet.. I sure wish it was just first come, first serve, but 10 dollars per application only means more money, so we will only see more draws for everything...

It was kind of ridiculous to go to the Southern RAC meeting this last year. The public comments made by fellow hunters were totally useless!! On some of the issues there was not one public comment that agreed with what the board voted.. Kind of made me lose faith in our officials. If the DWR recommended it, they went with it.. And the DWR stated there was no "biological evidence" THAT SUPORTED WHAT THEY RECOMMENDED.. It was all about money!!! I have no problem paying more money for tags etc.. If it will help our wildlife populations and quality.. And they talked about a survey they sent out by email to people asking for info. on the matters they voted on. I never got one, and noone I know did either.. Did any of you fellow hunters receive this survey? It was just a real dissapointing night in my opinion. Good thing the other RACs around the state at least had their heads pulled out of their butts a bit.. haha

I am just wondering others opinions down south where they have had the 5 day hunt in effect. I know since they started it, I have seen the quality of deer get alot better. Have any others seen this, or seen differently. I was realy disapointed to see it changed back. I thought it realy helped the herd, but I hope they dont all get slaughterd this year out on "burned" utah hill!!