Bear Rifle Scope Question

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
3fingerbrown
Fawn
Fawn

Bear Rifle Scope Question

Post by 3fingerbrown » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:24 pm

I have a .416 Remington that I will use on a grizzly and black bear hunt in Alaska in 2011.

I've talked with several folks who have done this hunt. The prime hunting time is right before dark, and so a scope that can operate in low-light situations is critical. Also a scope with an illuminated reticle is a huge advantage, as at that time of the evening your dark colored reticle "dissapears" when it is held up to the black blob of a bear.

I was thinking about getting a Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42mm scope.

However I was recommended getting a scope with a larger objective, a Swarovski 2-12x50mm, and then just hunting on the lower magnifications (2x) because most shots are within 100 yards, and many shots within 50 yards. His reasoning is that a larger objective will be better in these low light conditions.

Any opinions?

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Re: Bear Rifle Scope Question

Post by Don Fischer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:39 am

Same question as on BGH, same guy I assume?

3fingerbrown
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 3fingerbrown » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Yes, I also posted this on BGH. I read this interesting line from an article on choosing a rifle scope:

"Large objective lenses will only transmit more useable light than smaller ones if they are set at their highest power in the dimmest conditions."

It is odd, why wouldn't a larger objective transmit more light at a low power? Interesting.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Either of the 2 scopes you mentioned will be fine choices .

I used a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x50mm on my .338 win Mag when I went to Alaska on my Moose and Grizzly hunt and it was more than enough scope for my hunt.

A friend of mine who lives and guides in Alaska uses a Sako in .416 Remington he has a 2-7 Leupold on it and this is his guide gun.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK