a question for reloaders

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Bear2
Fawn
Fawn

Re: a question for reloaders

Post by Bear2 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:54 pm

quebechunter:
if your first shot was from a clean cold barrel, it is not uncommon to have your first shot apart from subsequent shots. two choices either final zero for a clean cold barrel, or fire a shot first before hunting, (even before you depart) then your shots should group.
it is also common to not reach the published velocities of reloading manuals, as i mentioned in my prior post, manuals today are very conservitive for liability reasons. if you are moving a 168 gr bullet at 3100 fps +/- use the load that gives the tightest group.
re loading; did you check primers for flatening and case heads for excessive expansion?
if those deminsions are still ok, then your 94.5 gr is probably not the maximum charge, but DO NOT EXCEED IT until you become very experienced, if then.
also what primers are you shooting, i hope magnum?
the only time i have exceeded max charge weights, is because i still have an older reloading manual that lists higher charge weights than newer manuals, and my groups are 3/4" or less.
Bear2

Malloy805
Spike
Spike

Post by Malloy805 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:23 pm

I agree with bear2 .You don' t need to be trying to wring an additional 50 to 100fps out of your rifle at this stage in your reloading career. Ther last thing you need to be dealing with is extraction problems in the field and you'll get better case life.I seat my primers with a LEE hand priming tool.I think RCBS makes one too .It gives you a better feel on how your primer pockets are doing as you load cases multiple times.Pockets that loosen up after a few reloads are a sign of high pressure.(for that lot of cases). It's another variable to keep tabs on .

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:42 am

thank you guys
i think i wont go crazy about velocity. with such accuracy i should and am happy
that will make a good hunting load.
i also have the lee hand primer, but the rum case does not fit in it.
so i'm stuck with priming on the press.

Malloy805
Spike
Spike

Post by Malloy805 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:19 am

quebechunter wrote: i also have the lee hand primer, but the rum case does not fit in it.
so i'm stuck with priming on the press.
Your 300 RUM should use the same shell holder that you would use for any case with a .532-.534 rim, or am I missing something?? Please correct me if I'm wrong. :-k

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:54 pm

the case head is too wide to fit in the slot of the priming tool
the rim being smaller (rebated rim) would fit but the head at it's widest is to wide.
hope you understand what i mean.

Malloy805
Spike
Spike

Post by Malloy805 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:14 pm

10-4 :thumb