optics

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
spork40
Fawn
Fawn

optics

Post by spork40 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:58 am

i have a 30-06 rem 700 mtn edition, with a smaller stock and lighter barrell. it kicks like a mule but works very well on long hikes and a longer range. my question has to do with scopes. how much does accuracy depend on the quality of optics on the gun? since i put a variable power bushnell on it my accuracy has gone down, is that due to the scope or more just me? also, what would be a good, but not too expensive scope for my gun?

Heads or Tails
2 point
2 point

Re: optics

Post by Heads or Tails » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:55 pm

With optics you honestly get what you pay for...

I would look at it this way, decide how much you can or are willing to spend on a scope and then buy the very best you can with that price.

I personally think you need to get into the 200 dollar range for decent stuff, Nikon make great scopes...maybe even the best for the money. But there is a lot to choose from.

What kind or quality of scope you have on your gun will definitely help determine your accuracy.

Granted, I can get to the same destination in a Geo Metro, but I could get there a whole lot better in a Ford Mustang!

A big if not the biggest percentage still comes down to the one behind the wheel, but what kind of tools you use definitely increase your chances!

Good Luck....
Heads or Tails Hunting Co.

sawsman
2 point
2 point

Post by sawsman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:24 pm

In my experience a lighter rifle actually can hurt you in the accuracy area, especially as the size of the caliber increases. A heavier rifle usually helps to steady the point of aim, again in my experience.

Having said that, I do believe that with optics you do get what you pay for, at least in clarity, light transmission and overall glass quality. I dont think that increase in price though really will help improve accuracy, for example: I have tried two different scopes on the same rifle and did not notice an accuracy change. Scope #1 was a Swarovski Z6 which cost me $1,700.00 and the other was a Bushnell 3200 which was less than $300.00. Even though I didnt notice a change in accuracy I did notice a very big difference in quality. The Z6 is absolutely amazing!

The biggest factor in accuracy will be first the shooter, then the rifle, ammo and trigger and last the optic. Just my two cents... :thumb

sawsman
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing it, dosen't go away."-Philip K. Dick

harvey
Spike
Spike

Post by harvey » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:06 pm

I have two rifles with scopes on them. Both of the scopes cost more than the rifles! Not sure that is a must but I shoot very well with both. Up to a hundred yards I don't want a scope over that I need one. I just picked up a Nikon Monarc and like it very much. I did learn the hard way though that it is harder to shoot through an adjustable scope if you turn it up past 5 or 6 than it is to shoot through a fixed 4 power.

Springsman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Springsman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:59 am

When it comes to ACCURACY there should be little difference that is determined by the scope that you are using - provided that it is a good quality scope. A good scope that is mounted securely should be able to put your bullet in the same spot, shot after shot.

As "sawsman" mentioned there are other differences to consider after you talk about accuracy and that is why hunters should consider putting most of your money into your optics - especially binoculars.

With binoculars or a spotting scope you tend to look through the lenses for long periods of time. Thus the glass needs to be of better quality, or you will suffer. Light transmission is also greatly affected.

So while you can get an accurate scope from most companies for around $200, if you find yourself trying to put the crosshairs on a nice deer or elk near dusk or dawn, or on a dark day in dark timber, you will then discover why some hunters have purchased the more expensive optics.

I realize that your question was about the accuracy, and I do not think that your new scope itself should have had an effect on your shot placement. Maybe some other factors have changed such as the way it was mounted, the height, how your head is positioned with the new scope, how you hold the gun with a different scope on it........

Just my 2 cents worth.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:50 am

SPRINGSMAN--- welcome to the forum ::wel

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:59 pm

i 've had really good result using burris fullfield II
i got 2- 3X9X40 with ballistic plex, one on my 300 ultra and one on my wife's 260 rem.
we had them for 3 years now and i never had to reajust, unless i changed loads.
it actually p*** off my hunting buddy who has a leupold VXIII to see that, at last light, he could see as clear thru my scope as his. :thumb.

on a more expensive scale the nikon monarch would also be my choice.

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:23 am

Two things come to mind. First that easy to carry rifle that you said, "kicks like a mule", may be getting the better of you and your flinching. Second is that you simply got a bad scope. Perhaps the crosswire's move a bit on firing the mule! I had a Bushnell that would not return to zero if I zoomed it up and down. I gave it back and got a Nikon.

spork40
Fawn
Fawn

Post by spork40 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:46 pm

thanks for all the input, i think i am experiencing both symptoms. i may be flinching a bit at the ranch but not when i am lining up on an elk. the kick is hte last thing on my mind at that point. i was wondering more about the score not completely zeroing in with the adjustable knob. can i determine that for sure at the range?(provided i don't flinch)

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:16 pm

sure , the best way to do it is to try to make a square with groupings.
shoot a first group as it is.
then make 12 click to the right and fire another grouping they should land 3 inches to the right of the first group. then 12 clicks down fire again, then 12 click left, fire again, now with 12 last click up, they should land with your first grouping. that' a good way to test if your scope is responding well to turret adjustment.

good shooting!