west desert vernon unit

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
shootinfool
Fawn
Fawn

west desert vernon unit

Post by shootinfool » Mon May 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Well gemtlemen, I finally drew the west desert vernon unit, any wepon tag for this year. I know that this unit has received alot of attention from the media recently and do hear alot of talk about how this poaching incident has dramatically affected the quality of this unit, but i still think there are some big ones on this unit. I am looking for any tips on where to start looking for these bigguns. I dont expect gps coordinants or anything but i will take any information that you can help me with. Also what kind of buck should I be looking for on this unit, an average deer, a monster for this unit? Heck I would even be willing to take a trip out there with someone if they wanted. Also any hot tips on great camp spots and even a place to pull some dinner out of a river or lake would be greatly appreciated. I would like to see any deer pics of previously shot deer on this unit if anyone has had success there before and would like to show off their buck. I am super excited and I look forward to following up on any tips that are offered up and to spending time on this oppertunity to harvest a good buck this year. PM's are welcome also.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Re: west desert vernon unit

Post by ridgetop » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm surprised nobody has offered to help. You can PM me anytime with questions you might have. Here's a buck I took on the last day to fill the freezer. I had passed on several just like it.
He was 26.5" wide and aged at 5.5 years old.
Vernon Buck.JPG
Vernon Buck.JPG (70.89 KiB) Viewed 7124 times
There's always next year

shootinfool
Fawn
Fawn

Post by shootinfool » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:42 pm

pm sent. Any help would be great and very much appreciated.

RHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RHunter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:01 am

I am in the same boat as you man, I dont know much about that hunt. If you have any info you have gotten that could help me out I would appreciate it. I will give you any info I can to help you out as well. Maybe one of these next few weekends we can meet up there and scout together because my scouting stuff hasnt gone so well. I desperatly want to have a successful hunt, but I am discouraged because of my scouting hasnt been as good as everyone around me said about seeing 24 inch 4 points all day long. Thanks man keep in touch

shootinfool
Fawn
Fawn

Post by shootinfool » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Rhunter,

Which tag do you have. Shoot me a pm and let me know how I can help. I have been out there several times and know the area pretty well. I have seen some pretty good bucks and can possible help you out.

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:27 pm

great great great unit if you know where to go!!
"I'm a Backwoods Boy! I grew up on a Dirt Road!"-Josh Turner