Favorite Bullet and Load

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Re: Favorite Bullet and Load

Post by quebechunter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Springville Shooter wrote:I want to jump in on the fun. As a long time shooter and hand loader I have taken many different types of game with many different bullets. I often hear folks talk about certain bullets "failing" or being inherently "bad" I dissagree with this. I believe that there are no bad bullets on the market today, only misused ones. Noslers ballistic tip is a prime expample of this. Let's take the 150gr 30 cal ballistic tip. Loaded in the 300 savage, 308 win, or similar cartridges this bullet will perform great on deer sized game. Put the same bullet in any of the new super-mags and it will most probably expand too quickly and fail to penetrate deeply. Likewise the 30 cal 180 bonded or solid copper bullets will perform great at high velocities but might not expand reliably on smaller or thin skinned game. I believe the bullet argument can be compared to hunting vehicles. While the prius might be the best vehicle to get you from California to Colorado, it might not be the best to get you from the bottom of the mountain to the top. Fellow shooters, let us all be wise and informed on our choices of bullets and realize that the variety of fine projectiles that are available to us is a blessing that we must be the stewards of. I have killed big game with bullets from; Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, Swift, Remington, Sierra, Speer, and Berger. All resulted in a dead animal and I have yet to have a failure. -Shooter

+1 on all of the above

i will load my wife's 20" barrel 260 rem. with 120 ballistic tip cause the 140 corelokt @ 2550 fps
do not expand enough (small wound channel)

Griff
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Griff » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:54 pm

Just wondering if any of you have any feedback on the Winchester XP3 ammunition in the field?

elkkiller
Fawn
Fawn

Post by elkkiller » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:19 pm

i shoot a 300 weatherby mag, my choice for favorite setup is the nosler partition in a 180 grain weatherby brass..... bone crushers....
lifes short, enjoy it while ya have it