Rangefinder?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Rangefinder?

Post by wingmaster36 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:27 pm

What make and model do you prefer and why?
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Re: Rangefinder?

Post by Huge29 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:54 pm

I really liked my Nikon Monarch 800 for size and accuracy, now have a cheap Bushnell, not worth a dollar. I like the newer Nikons that calculate actual flat distance vs from point a to b from what I have seen. The original Leupolds that did that were criticized for being way too complex.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:35 pm

My wife and I have the Nikon Monarch Laser 800 too. It's waterproof. Clear. The battery in mine is fine and has seen extensive use. Easy to manipulate and use and it shoots through small openings quite well. I had one then just bought her one for her birthday because she like mine.
Mark

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:48 pm

Just bought a Leupold RX-750 this year. AWESOME rangefinder. Its shock AND water proof, it has 2 different modes fr Bow or Rifle AND Leupold's TBR (tru balistic range) which compensates for shooting angles. We put it to the test on the hunt too. We found some steep shooting angles that said the range was 30yrds BUT to shoot 20.. It worked! Previous models have been "too difficult to operate in the field with all the options", Leupold must have corrected that because I had NO PROBLEMS with that. Because of the price, I was a bit skeptical at first but after talking to an optics guy in Cabelas (shrug) and asking my friends they all say go with the Leupold. I just bought the RX750 cause the RX-ii model was being discontinued and I was looking at getting that one. The rx750 retails for around $289, not sure if it comes in different color options other than the black mine was but I think for the money this rangefinder is definitely the best deal I found.
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:24 pm

One more tidbit, see what you like here and then go to Cabelas site or another one that has the customer reviews, I really like those just to specifically see what problems some people have, knowing that some people are unedumucated, but helpful to see if there is a common problem among many owners.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:26 pm

I'll second the leupold, the TBR is a nice feature.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

grimreaper
Fawn
Fawn

Post by grimreaper » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:20 am

I am currently using a Leica lrf 900. It is amazing! Its fast, works in all light conditions, and still gives good readings when you are shaking from buck fever! they are top notch. Also works well in fog and rain. They red l.e.d. display is nice in low light. I have also got more than 900 yard readings out of it.I had a bushnell scout 400 it was the biggest peice of crap i ever bought you had to hold perfectly still and it usually only worked out to 200yrds. Stay away from that one. I have looked through and used both leupold and nikon and they are nice too.

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:25 pm

I sold my Cabela's 1200 and bought a Bushnell 1500 and I like it a lot better. It ranges farther better faster. Good luck on your choice.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:25 pm

If you have the money, buy leica, if not, buy the bushnell 1500. I have an old bushnell 1000 that has been going for the last 6 years and still routinely ranges out to 600yds in bright light and 850-900 in low light. My friend just bought the 1500. It seems to get about the same distance but is much smaller. Hope this helps.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Cutthroat
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Cutthroat » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:05 am

I've been using a Leupold RX-II for the past 2 years and have been very happy with it for the reasons already mentioned, especially the True Ballistic Range (TBR) feature. My only complaint is that it is supposed to have a range of up to 570 yards for trees but I have a hard time getting readings beyond 400 yards for anything other than large boulders.