what should I carry into the field?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Contractor
Fawn
Fawn

what should I carry into the field?

Post by Contractor » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:42 am

Im going to wyoming mule deer hunting in nov. The hunt will be guided. We will take an atv out and spot and the stalk.I will be hunting with my father 70 yrs old, and my 16 yr old son. We all have day packs. What should we take with us each day. The packs are camel packs. I have a good idea what we will need but dont want to over do it. How much amo should we carry? Should I bring a hand gun? All I have are one's that I carry for protection.

Thanks,

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: what should I carry into the field?

Post by m gardner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:47 am

The guide should have given you a list of clothing and gear he expects you to have. You paid for him to keep you safe and comfy so I would definitely follow his advice.
Good luck.
Mark

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm an outfitter and I send a list of what to bring to everyone. But here are a few suggestions: License, rifle, ammo (at least 2 boxes), conservation stamp, hunter safety certificate if born after Jan 1, 1966, blaze orange article of clothing, layered clothing (and it might get cold in November). Old boots, gore tex boots, lots of good socks, 2 hats, 2 pairs of gloves. Camera, reading material, binoculars, money for processing, taxidermy or tips. Personal meds, sunscreen, flashlight, maps and directions.

Best thing you can bring is a positve attitude and a will to have some fun. I hope you have a great time and enjoy Wyoming. Good luck on your hunt; I hope it results in trophy critters and memories.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:15 am

It depends on how long you will spend in the field when you go out. If your only spending 4-6 hrs per excursion and will relativly close to your atv then stick to the very basics, a knife, snacks, water and TP, with a few emergency items. If your going out for short trips avoid packing 2 gallons of water with you if your not going to use it. I pack a light weight pad so I can sit anywhere and not get my gluts wet, in November you might have to sit in snow and/or mud and its hard to stay warm when your gluts are wet.

What would be the purpose of the handgun? If you get close enough are you going to shoot the deer with it? Bear protection? I don't know what type of arsenal you have, but if all you have is a .380 auto it's not going to be very effective on a charging bear. If your thinking of a more powerful revolver type handgun is the added weight going to be an issue? Your going to have a high power rifle with you so you probably won't need a handgun. I'd check with your guide see what he thinks.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Contractor
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Contractor » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks ICMDEER,
I have contacted our guide, and he says bring clothes and Guns and ammo. I just dont want too
get there and not have something that I might have needed. I wasnt going to bring my son's hunter safety card. I thought that information was on a data base and if you didnt have one then you couldnt buy a license.

As for the hand gun,I thought about bringing my .45. I dont now how far we will be hunting from camp and if something happened to the guide I would have another weapon for protection.