New Rifle question

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
crunch14
2 point
2 point

New Rifle question

Post by crunch14 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 pm

I currently use Federal Premium Nosler Partitions in my Rem. M700 .30-06 for Deer and Elk, and carry a few rounds of .30-06 tracer ammo for grouse in the trees.

I was thinking of getting an AR-10 in .338 federal for Elk with a .308 upper for deer. In the area I hunt Elk the longest shot we'll see is 200-250 yds but mostly 50-130yds, where it seems the .338 Fed excels. But where we hunt Deer shots could be anywhere from 50-400 yards.

I was thinking of getting something new for a couple of reasons... I am more familiar with AR style from my military days. LOTS of reliable/accurate experience in Iraq. The .338 will be harder hitting than the .30-06 and just as accurate at that range

With the .338 was thinking of a fixed 4x scope.

With the .308 it's a bit flatter shooting and I can get steel NATO ammo for birds easier. Was gonna get a NIKON Buckmaster 3-9X scope.

What do y'all think? Any questions, comments or snide remarks are appreciated.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: New Rifle question

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:50 am

No snide remarks here, I think that you laid out a great plan. I am a firm believer that you need to find the rifle that you are most comfortable with and that you will have the most confidence in. I will admit that I would never choose this rig, because coming from California and having no military experience, I never held an AR type rifle until I was 34 years old and lived in Utah. I have since added one to my collection and have been working on making friends with it. I still have a long way to go. I do like your choices of caliber though and my only thought is that you might not need both. I think that you could get loads for either the 338 fed, or 308 win that would handle all of your hunting needs. I would choose the 308 because of the wide variety of loads available. The 308 with a stiff 165 or 180 will lay out elk nicely. Choose a 150-165 with a high BC and you can shoot as accurately as your rifle will allow out to as far as you want.----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:27 am

Thanks for the input Springville. I've always heard that .308 was a bit on the under powered side for elk? With only 5 days between deer and Elk season, and work, I don't have time to sight in a different bullet for each.

Now I just need to get the $$ for a new rig. Either that or hope my other weapons magically breed :-k . First one will be the .308 AR-10, .338FED upper is later.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:29 pm

.308 is a great gun for elk and deer thats what i use and it has suverd me well in the past few years. i usually shot a 180 grain bullet it does well
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:54 am

The .308 is a very accurate round and will kill any animal in north America but I would ask you to think twice about hunting with any automatic-looking firearms. If the anti-hunters see that or worse film that then they will think we are out there unloading on the animals and taking careless shots. I'm sure your an ethical hunter but I believe that others will think different and we have to be aware of the political aspects of hunting.
I'm a fan of (in my opinion and many magazine artical) the best all around hunting round for North American big game, the 30-06 if you can only have one. It is also the most used which is good if your 50 or 100 miles from a sporting goods store, theres a good chance that somebody in your camp or another camp can share some bullets if you forget them or dont bring enough
#-o