Colorado non-res elk

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
muzzhunter
Spike
Spike

Colorado non-res elk

Post by muzzhunter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:36 pm

I'm hoping to draw an elk hunt for 2010 with a good chance at a 300+ bull. I'll hunt muzz or rifle. I'm a non-res, but will work hard and hunt the whole season. Any units to look at? Looks like with my points I would have a good chance at these hunts,
muzz 20
muzz 48
muzz 49
muzz 69
muzz 84
2nd 20
2nd 40
3rd 40
2nd 851?
Any thoughts or advise? Anything that will help me narrow it down would be helpful, even if it is just to stay away from one unit or another. Hope someone can lend a helping hand.
Thanks,
Dave

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: Colorado non-res elk

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:12 am

Actually all the units you have listed can give you a reasonable shot a good Colorado bull elk.

Personally I would say muzzle loader would be the way to go in most of the units and then first rifle.

By 2nd rifle the elk have been hunted pretty good and will harder to locate.

Unit 40 you will need to find private land most likely to hunt the public has access issues but the unit holds some very nice bulls. The biggest bulls in 40 almost always come from private land.

851 is a unit that is hit and miss on the public land some nice elk live in this unit and some good bulls come from the Bosque del Oso SWA but as I am sure you are aware the Bosque del Oso SWA has a seperate tag than 851 a hunter can be successful in almost any season.

49, 48 Muzzle loader is best but 1st rifle can produce decent elk hunting I would lean towards 49 though.

20 is so hit and miss it so depends on where in the unit you are hunting some huge bulls live in unit 20 because of Rocky Mountain National Park but they are not found throughout the unit it can be spotty.

Dont know much about 69 sorry.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK