Youth Hunters

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
killerbee

Re: Youth Hunters

Post by killerbee » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:25 pm

i've missed this thread ](*,)

KILLERBEE"S 2 CENTS:

i personally passed hunter saftey in oregon when i was 8 yrs old, 3rd highest score in the class.[ mostly 11 yr old kids] in oregon you could hunt upland game when you were 9 [ now with the youth mentor program you can hunt big game on another persons / mentors tag]

i always grew up going hunting with my dad. i can remember when i was 5 yrs old, my dad took me on an archery elk hunt. he said "i'll take you if you can wake yourself up by 5:00 a.m." i was up and ready by 4! i can still remember going out and walking to a ridge and my dad doing a "voice" bugle. and sure as %$@#@! he got an answer! that was the first bugle i can remember, and one i'll never forget. that bull never came in and at the end of the day my dad put me in the lead and told me to find are way out. after what seemed like 10 miles we came around the corner and there was his old chevy love pickup.

now days i go and hunt that same spot. truth be told the ridge was only about 700 - 1000 yrds away, and i was probably "tricked" into finding it . but i never new that back then. to this day every time i get there i sit down and remeber those times.

back to hunting. after i passed hunter safety, my dad took me quail hunting. he bought me an old Harrington and Richards 4-10 single shot. i remeber us hiking threw the junipers and all of the sudden there was about 15 quail sitting all bunched together. i pulled up and shot and killed about 10 of them. after finishing a couple off and retrieving all of them, me being proud as can be, showed him all my quail. he gave me a big hug and told me great job! but then we sat down on an old log and he explained to me how shooting them on the ground was not the most sporting way to shoot birds. by no means was i in trouble , just learning.

i can remember when i was 6 i got to go on my first rifle deer hunt. opening morning i spotted a spike deer. i was so excited and was telling where it was at. sure enough he rested on a log and shot him at 220 yrds, {in steps} with his 30-30 with a strait 4 X scope. the buck dropped! i got to be in the lead to find him. i can remember looking all over for that buck and finally i was higher on the hill and walked up on him. i was jumping up and down screaming "you got him, you got him"
now i know that he didn't want to shoot a spike back then, and i'm pretty sure he stayed low on that hill side so i could find him. but i never knew.

needless to say i could never thank my dad enough for the start he gave me in hunting and in life. AND I WILL , WITH ALL MY MIGHT, BRING MY KIDS UP THE SAME WAY!

so to answer the question on how young is to young?? IT DEPENDS ON US DADS! if we do are part with are kids they will be ready long before they are legal to be!

just typing this post sure brought back alot of memories of when i was a kids , hunting with DAD! this year he drew a good bull tag, i took the whole hunt off of work to try and get him a bull. we had shots at bulls everyday but could never get one on the ground. but that dont matter at all, we spent another hunt together as father and son, and thats what matters!
i cant wait to have those same memories with my kids!

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:37 am

Hey Killerbee, thanks for the great story it sounds like you and I were brought up much the same. I hope to bring my boys up the same way and I hope they are able to do the same with there kids passing on our love for the outdoors at a young age is so important to the future of the sport as well as the fact that the younger you learn something the better and more natural you are at it.

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Do you guys know of any states that offer nonresidents good odds at a Jr. deer tag

MO BUCKS
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MO BUCKS » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:00 pm

Hey primal 215 missouri has a youth tag and even a special season for the youth. They are over the counter tags and fairly reasonable on price. I'm pretty sure they allow nonresident youths to participate. You would be hunting whitetails of course. Missouri has alot of conservation areas open to public hunting and the mark twain national forest in the southern part of the state is a huge tract of land. FYI the larger bucks taken in the state is usually north of the MO river.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:24 pm

montana has easy doe tags to get, also check into wyoming antelope. i believe they could kill 3 does AND a buck.

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:25 am

primal215 wrote:Do you guys have any recommendations for a good youth shotgun
I started out with my Dad's old Remington Bolt action 20ga. when I was 10 y/o. He cut down the stock to fit me. After lots of lawn mowing I saved up enough for a Mossberg 20ga youth pump when I was 12y/o. Those 2 took quite a few grouse and quail, even a few rabbits.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

BChunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BChunter » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:50 am

well here is my brothers and I with his first ever big game animal on his first ever big game hunt. Calf Moose
Here is my mule deer on my first big game hunt.

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:26 pm

my dauther with her first ever big game in 2008.

naldox
Fawn
Fawn

Post by naldox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:53 am

Springville Shooter wrote:Here's me taking my two into the Yolla Bolla wilderness to pre-season scout and fish. They hiked over 7 miles in some pretty tough country with no complaints.----shooter

I think you really have fun, I think it's a good idea going to a youth hunter with my kids and with their youth gun. maybe this summer.
We can protect ourselves using any kinds of weapons like batons, pepper spray, stun guns etc. and use it in a proper way but If there would be a chance to run then run.

dispatch_ike
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dispatch_ike » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:24 pm