Afterwards...

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Afterwards...

Post by huntfishnv » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:30 pm

After you buy a muzzleloader how much do you spend on all the other equipment that is required to have a good hunt and expeirence?
The Buck Stops Here

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Re: Afterwards...

Post by UtahRob » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

finding the right powder and bullet combo that shoots in you gun is the $$$ after getting the gun . Unless you scope it . I was lucky and found a great combo right off , some may take longer . I use a .452 300 grain Speer gold dot for hunting deer and elk and a .452 300 grain xtp for paper . they shoot the same in my encore . I use ffG 777 powder @ around 21.00 for a 1lb tub . cleaning supplies , patches solvent are all cheap . I don't have the beast eyes anymore , so i use a 1x Sightron scope , very sharp scope . Got it on sale at Cal Ranch for around 120.00 if i remember right . My Encore will put every bullet in the same hole at 50 -70 yards , not going to try for groups past that with open sights or 1 x scope with my eyes . Once you have your gun it really not bad ($$$$) at all . there is a web site i am on all the time that has a TON of info on muzzle loaders and when you get one , let them know what you have, and they then can point you in the right way and save you some $$$ on the bullet/powder combo for that gun .

here is the link , these guys live and breath muzzys . You will need to Register then go to inline muzzle loaders and ask away !! A good group of guys . 10sign:

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... 13&start=0

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:55 pm

Thanks a ton I should be able good to go from there.
The Buck Stops Here

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:06 pm

price just depends on how much you play, i bought everything to clean mine for probably 75 bucks right off. I bought like a 20 dollar sling and then started to play. I played with a few different types of bullets but after shooting the powerbelts ill probably never shoot a different bullet. I did not play with powder to much since the one i bought was clean and didnt seem to have problems. I bought a scope a year later but it was just a 1x that ran me probably 60 bucks? but i reiterate if you play around with it alot its expensive if you have a friend who will let you try their loads once or twice you can maybe stop yourself from making expensive tests with lack luster results.....

ps my set up is: cva wolf .50 cal, 50 grain pellet tripple 7's shooting 150 grains each shot (3 pellets), 245 powerbelt aero tips they are super straight shooting, super accurate and clean and easy to use, im using plain 209 shotshell primers though i will probably play around with these once i run out, supposedly 209 shotshell primers can have enough power to start pushing your load out before the powder burns? They now have muzzleloader primers....
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:06 am

After I purchased my Disc I bought some pyrodex pellets, hornady bullets, barnes bullets and some power belts then went shooting. All bullets shot well at 100yds with the different powder charges. From 100 to 150 I liked the the Barnes the best. Ive tried the triple seven powder but have stayed with the pyrodex. In the debate of pellet vs powder I choose pellets for convienence and no mess. For a scope I went with a millet red dot, after a couple years it started to wonder. I replaced it with an aimpoint which are great but now a days are pretty spendy. Without an optic I think you could get your loader ready for under a hundred, it just depends how much you want to fine tune it.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks guys this is great info. :thumb
The Buck Stops Here