Omega Question

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
muleyboy
Fawn
Fawn

Omega Question

Post by muleyboy » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:13 pm

I am a new member and just recently bought a TC Omega and was wondering if you all that own one unload your rifle every evening or do you just take the cap out and put your gun back in a case. My friends and I got drawn for a Colorado high country muzz hunt and I was wanting to know if the sealed breech design seals out moisture effectivley. Any help would be appreciated.

muleyboy

Anonymous

Omega question

Post by Anonymous » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:43 am

It is pretty much OK to leave it loaded although leaving the primer in makes it a little more questionable from a safety standpoint. It is a good idea to make sure the rifle does not see a lot of temperature change like in from the cold to real warm then back to cold. Leave the rifle in the same temp as what the hunt is if possible, like on the porch etc. I leave mine loaded but I hunt in Arizona and the temp change is not drastic.

CGeminski
Fawn
Fawn

omega

Post by CGeminski » Sat May 20, 2006 11:38 am

definately unload it if your season is over
I usually leave the powder/bullet in and take the primer out if I my season is still going, however... definately leave the gun outside, in your truck, porch, barn etc... dont bring it inside, the temp change can lead to condensation and possible moisture in your barrel/powder.
Chris Geminski
Long Island, NY

elkbustr
Fawn
Fawn

unloading

Post by elkbustr » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:46 am

Being new to muzzleloading a couple of years ago, I purchased the CO2 "unloading kit" to unload without discharging the gun. I "unloaded" it one evening before I got back into my vehicle. The next morning, before daylight, when I returned to my hunting area I decided to "dry" the barrel by firing a cap. The resounding flash and boom was astonishing. The unloading kit forced the bullet out but did not force all of the powder out of the barrel. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction as always. Just because the bullet is dislodged doesn't mean the barrel is clear. Pay close attention to the mark on the ramrod when reloading your weapon. Muzzleloader hunting is fun and reqarding. It is just a little more complex that smokeless powder hunting. Best of luck.