OMG.... I just saw the best buck I have seen in years

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
Anonymous

OMG.... I just saw the best buck I have seen in years

Post by Anonymous » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:40 pm

ok a little history.. I grew up in NE Utah, north of the book cliffs, and south of the Gorge in a town called Vernal. Most of you know that region to be a hotspot for monster mulies.. well used to be. between my father and I we have managed to collect a few good buck for the wall and memories.. the best being a 37" 6x6 (browtines not included) Typical frame with an extra tine branching off the main beam on each side. that was my fathers, I let the air out of a willow horned 32" 4 point in colorado a few years ago, he lacks mass, but looked like a toad when he was hualing booty down a ridge. Over the past few years we have seen a decline and then a up swing of good bucks in the area never seeing the mega's we used to chase during the late season muzzleloader. Well, I live in Tucson now, and made the 15 hour drive home for a friends wedding, by the time I got out of Tucson, I knew I would be well into the early morning getting home. So this buck I saw, was spotted just outside of Mack CO at about 2:30 in the morning. I was at the bottom of Douglas Canyon and came around the corner, when my headlights picked up a bunch of horns. Being a buck Junky, I swung my headlights around to have a peek. 11 bucks were just off the road, 3 respectable (24-26") 4 points and the rest were the the teenagers.--heck all of them were youngsters. One buck had a bit of wild growth on his head but was still a bit punish for my liking. I enjoyed the moment, and took off again heading north up the canyon.. 5 miles up I saw 2 deer in the ditch with thier head down, the closer had a small body and I was thinking Doe and yearling fawn, problem was due to light, or the lack thereof, and the body size comparison of the closer deer made this my first reaction completely wrong for what I was about to see. as I neared the deer, the closer one raised his head up, and showed he was actually a small3x4 with great potential, the other deer decided to have a look. HOLY BUCKETS!!! The Holstein Body of this deer did nothing to diminish the size of the rack he was carrying. 4 inches, easy, out to each side of his ears, 28-30" in hieght, and I am guessing G2's and G3's were around 13-14 inches. The G4's almost came all the way up to the height of the g2 and g3's. 2-3" browtines along with substantial mass. Now I reckon the velvet did alot for his mass, but he was by far the best buck I have seen in the last 10 years, and by far the best Typical.... I wish I had a camera.. not that it would have been worth a hoot and a holler that time of night.. On another note, my 32"4 point dressed out at 237 up to that point he was the biggest bodied buck I had seen. NO More.. this buck was a steer, with a gorgeous roman nose and excellent facial marks.. I wont be able to hunt CO this year, so I hope that if someone does bring this boy down, I get to see the measurements and see how far off I was.... personally, I am thinking 215-217 ish

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:19 pm

Wow! Sounds like a keeper to me. I agree, to bad you didn't have a video camera or something to get a photo. Thanks for the story.

dead shot
Spike
Spike

Post by dead shot » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:45 pm

yeah, awsome story. thanks :-k

tylercreek2
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tylercreek2 » Tue May 03, 2005 8:30 pm

11 bucks ? in one bunch ? then a hawg ? all in the same night ? man u need to quit driving at night :) am kidding :) wayyyyyyyyyy kewl to see huh ? my wife swears i'll kill us all while i'm driving cause i'm always looking for critters :) mebbe you'll get a pop at him or one of his kids in the future :thumb

Nevadahunter
4 point
4 point

Post by Nevadahunter » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:48 pm

haha my mom thinks the same thing.
If God Had Intended For Us To Be Vegitarians, Why Did He Make Animals With Meat?
Unless You Haven't Heard..I'm a Pretty Big Deal Around Here.

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:35 pm

whats up with resurecting 3 year old posts?

muleystalker01
2 point
2 point

Post by muleystalker01 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:23 pm

I would say that with nevadahunter being a young person he is reading old posts to hopefully learn some more about hunting from some more experianced hunter. so I think he is just posting his comments on what he has read.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:35 pm

lol
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

Nevadahunter
4 point
4 point

Post by Nevadahunter » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:38 pm

ya chet don't be mean! lol. but anyway don't we have a right to?
If God Had Intended For Us To Be Vegitarians, Why Did He Make Animals With Meat?
Unless You Haven't Heard..I'm a Pretty Big Deal Around Here.