Muzzy question

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:58 pm

Boy, we don't even get a choice in WA. Open sites only on all muzzys.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:25 pm

AGCHAWK wrote:Boy, we don't even get a choice in WA. Open sites only on all muzzys.
i know what you mean. it's the sam here in OR. they have to be IRON sights, we can't even use fiber optic sights. we also cant use 209 primers they must be caps. and they have to be EXPOSED so they can get wet if it rains! [ i mean you can then put plastice sandwich bags or something to protect them but when the gun is shooting ready you have to be able to see the cap]
I'm really O.K. with all these rules though, i've never agreed with getting better dates because your hunting with a muzzle loader then haveing a muzzle loader that can shoot just as good as some rifles! we cant use powder pellets they have to be loose granuals, and we cant use sabots or powerbelts or any bullets similer to them. good ol' round balls or other complete bullets.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:37 pm

Killer, the rules in OR must be identical to WA. Every one of the rules you posted are exactly what's required/not legal here in WA. (We can use polymer tips and fiber optic sites however) I agree with you also, muzzleloader hunting should be primative...that's why it's a seperate season than modern firearm.

In fact, I just dragged my father's muzzleloader out of the closet three weeks ago and I think I'm going to hit the hills with it next year. I got it after he passed away 4 years ago and haven't had the heart to take it out of the cabinet. It's an old kit muzzy, .50 cal, and he loved it. He built it himself, customized it, and could hit just about anything with it.

However, I haven't shot a muzzy in a LONG time and need to hook up with someone to "show me the ropes" and refresh my memory before I actually take it into the field.

ABert

Post by ABert » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:17 am

sk, I get groups around 3" at 100 yards, but I've been shooting with open sights for a number of years. When it comes to muzzy hunting I don't see any reason to shoot further than 100 yards, though my rifle could do it I'm sure.

Killer/AGC, I agree with both of you, primitive weapon should mean primitive weapon. I'd love to see the entire country follow OR and WA but I don't believe we'll be seeing that any time soon.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:26 pm

My neighbor showed me his "Millett" electronic dot 1x scope last night on his ML, i was totally impressed!
Any thoughts on these?...i'm still debating on the scope thing.
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:54 am

I have really enjoyed my red dot scope.. and as for battery life.. I accidentlly left mine on for over a week in the case. When I got the gun back out to go hunting the next weekend it was still working.. so the batery thing doesn't seem to be a big issue.. plus i always carry an extra one too

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks heshen, that's exactly what i wanted to know!! :thumb
I think i'll go get one the weekend and get 'er all dialed in so i can go smoke something!! (no pun intended =D> )
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:04 pm

I just put a dot on a buddy's gun Saturday. It's great.

cobo
Fawn
Fawn

Post by cobo » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:01 am

I have a 2x7 Leupold on my inline with QD mounts. The scope gives me a good field of view at close range but still offers magnification at longer distances, it also allows me to remove it to utilize the iron sights for areas that do not allow scopes.