Muzzy question

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Muzzy question

Post by skull krazy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:03 pm

Ok guys, i'm so far out of the muzzle loader loop it's not even funny, but i have a question for everyone.
My son drew a book cliffs tag this year and i bought him a Knight disc extreme .50 cal. I went to Cabela's yesterday and asked a guy who looked like he knew his stuff. He set me up with some goodies and told me it's what HE uses and recommends....so i bought it.
First off he said to go with 245gr powrebelts and back them up with two 50 grain pyrodex powder charges, (100 total) and ignite them with the Winchester 209 inline primers and sight in 3" high at 100yds.
Does this sound like a good set up to you guys??

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:29 pm

Sounds good to me, maybe try and 260 grain as well and see what shoots the best! Did you get him a scope? if not, i would recommend getting one, it greatly reduced my group size!

We will be expecting pics and storys soon

9er

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:45 pm

Thanks for the quick reply 9er!
No scope, that was the other question i should have asked.
The guy i talked too at Cabela's like the "dot" scope for muzzle loaders. (he didn't work there, he was a customer)
I was just thinking of keeping them "open sight's"....but i'm definately not closed minded on the subject.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:17 pm

skull,

i happen to have the knight disc, my sights will cover the whole deer at 125 yards, so imo, a scope is a definite must, to me it seems like the object/deer is further way when looking in a 1x scope, but at least it gives you some crosshairs and somthing to hold on and not just guessing! hope that helps

9er

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:19 pm

That's some great info 9er, thanks!!
Any scope recommendations? :dumb

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:22 pm

i have never used the red dot scopes, i hear they are nice, but never used one. mine is just a cheap bushnell that does the job!

9er

sent ya a pm

Torch
3 point
3 point

Post by Torch » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:23 am

SK,

What shoots good in one muzzleloader doesn't necessarily shoot good in another. If your going to use pellets, then I would test several different bullets and powders to see which one shoots the best. I had the Power Belt Platinums shooting great last year, but it took me a while to work up the load and get it dialed in. I personally like 777 powder the best and I have never had a problem with the "crud ring" like some people do. Pyrodex is a pain in the butt to clean and I hate the smell. I just bought a new Knight and I am hoping to get my load dialed in within the next few weeks.

I shoot a Burris 1x and I love it. I have also heard good things about the Nikon Buckmaster 1x. My biggest concern with the red dots is they are battery operated and there could be electronic failure. I would probably see a monster buck and not get a shot because I forgot to turn it on or have a dead battery....lol.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:21 am

Torch wrote: I have also heard good things about the Nikon Buckmaster 1x. My biggest concern with the red dots is they are battery operated and there could be electronic failure. I would probably see a monster buck and not get a shot because I forgot to turn it on or have a dead battery....lol.
+1
There's always next year

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:23 am

I'll second and third all the advice you've gotten thus far, though I prefer open sights myself on my muzzy. One other thing you might want to look into the the type or brand of primer. The 209's have a tendency to cause some fouling in the breech area and I believe it's Remington that has come out with a primer that helps to solve this. I've been using caps myself and haven't switched over to 209's because I'm too cheap. No sense in getting them when I still have a bunch of caps left! :))
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:21 am

Thanks everyone, great advice!!

Abert, you say you use open sights, can i ask how your groups are and if you still shoot good out past 100 yards? I'm still trying to decide on scopes or not.
The primers i got are the winchester "inline muzzle loaders only" primers, hopefully they won't give me issues!!