Clean barrel

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Clean barrel

Post by UtahRob » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:08 pm

Here is post i copied from another forum . I think this guy is spot on , on how he sights in his guns . I sight my muzzle loaders in the same way ,i run two wet and two dry patches between every shot , spotless barrel , allow gun to cool , and i can put all my shots right where the first shot went . You first shot is the most important one !!

his post !!

It all depends on what you want to do with your rifle. Some people do a great deal of target shooting and don't want the bother of swabbing between shots so their rifles are sighted in on a fouled barrel. My rifles (all flintlocks) are for hunting deer and they are sighted in on a clean barrel. My barrels are put away with an oiled bore. Before hunting with them they are washed out with dawn dish soap and warm water and dried with cleaning patches. I let them sit for at least an hour before they are loaded.

My loads are worked up in three shot groups with the sighting in on the first shot from a clean barrel. I will take several sessions to test that the bull is hit from a clean barrel every time. Do your sighting in on windless days (Mornings around here are windless for the most part). I take the time to clean the barrel between loadings for the second and third shots and clean until the patch comes out completely clean. I have no problem shooting 2" groups with open sights on windless mornings at 100 yards. Every rifle I have shows that the first shot from a clean barrel will hit to the same spot consistantly and the second/third shots on a swabbed clean barrel will be very close to the first. I have found that fast reloads are not an issue for me no matter what type of firearm I am using. Put the first where it belongs within it's power range and you will take meat. Make a good shot and watch/listen to your deers reaction. Most times you will see or hear it go down. Take your time cleaning the bore and load up and then follow up. You won't need a second shot 99% of the time.

It amazes me that people always say that their first shot from a clean barrel always hits left or right or high or whatever; use that to your advantage as muzzleloading is for the most part a one shot deal. Clean your barrel well after the first shot in the attempt to duplicate the clean bore condition. I use real black powder and have no experience with the subs but I doubt the method would not work equally as well with it.

I do the same thing with my centerfires (no cleaning between shots of course). A couple of trips to my range to tweek the scope until that first shot is dead nuts where I want it and the second/third are within an inch or so and it's done. I make sure I buy several boxes of the same lot of ammo once it's sighted in. I am looking for pinpoint accuracy from the first shot. In my revolvers I find my most accurate cylinder and mark it; and always use it for my first shot when hunting.

Mossie