COLORADO MUZZLELOADER EQUIPMENT

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
VMAN17
Fawn
Fawn

COLORADO MUZZLELOADER EQUIPMENT

Post by VMAN17 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:01 am

Hello,

Getting ready to move back to Colorado after 21yrs in the Navy. I started muzzleloading a couple years ago but in the Eastern/Southern states where scopes, pellets, sabots are all legal but I know they're not in Colorado. I'd like to purchase the things (equipment) most of you find most necessary and handy when it comes to measuring powder, best quick loaders to carry powder, bullet and cap, best bullets (I have an Omega) and whatever else you think I should have? Thanks

Eric

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Re: COLORADO MUZZLELOADER EQUIPMENT

Post by JLROOT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:40 pm

The equipment you mentioned are not legal during the muzzle loading season. However they are legal during the rifle season. Use the same equipment that you use now (minus the stuff you mentioned). Do the work up on your load when you get here. Altitude will affect your round a little. Try to find a replacement bullet that is the same weight as the sabot you use now. That way you have a known place to start working up your loads. When I shot my inline muzzle loader i used 90 grains of pyrodex pushing a 380 grain lead bullet worked great.

my 2 cents
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

VMAN17
Fawn
Fawn

Post by VMAN17 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:51 am

Thanks JL. I've been shooting 100gr (2 pellets) with 250gr sabots and it shoots awfully nice. Can you or anyone give me some tips on the best measuring devices (size of device too as I've seen some items that are the same but different sizes) for the powder and some good speed loaders that will hold not only the bullet and powder but the cap as well? Thanks for everything

Eric

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:23 am

Eric,

Can't help with your questions, just wanted to say ::wel

VMAN17
Fawn
Fawn

Post by VMAN17 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Hello to you too! I'm betting you can point me to some good deer areas not too far outside of Denver :)

Eric

VMAN17
Fawn
Fawn

Post by VMAN17 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:55 am

Hello Everyone,

Still looking for advice on the the items you think are best such as brand/type of speedloader, powder measuring tools, possibles bags, field cleaning kit, etc. Thanks

Eric

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:23 pm

This guy has a sale on powder tubes and they are excellent :thumb

I bought 20 small - 20 big for $10 shipped!

You can view him here and get his email address.
http://thepowerbeltforum.powerguild.net ... s-t395.htm

txhunter58
Fawn
Fawn

Post by txhunter58 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:32 pm

the first order of business is to see if your Omega will even shoot conicals. Many won't due to the QLA throwing them out of kilter as they exit.

The only two that are accurate in my Omega so far has been the Powerbelt and the Hornady FPB. Both have a "skirt" of sorts that seems to stabalize them through the QLA area. Blackhorn 209 powder shoots them nicely in my gun as well as pyrodex. Again, your gun may be different, but mine shoots FPBs more accurately. they are also cheaper than powerbelts and are made of a lead alloy that doesn't come apart as easily as powerbelts or other pure lead concials. I would not be afraid to shoot powerbelts if they shot more accuately, but use lower powder charges (80 to 100 grains at most). You can push the FPBs harder and not worry as much about them coming apart. That said, 100 grains of any of those powders is more than enough power with these bullets to kill any elk walking.

As for a "field cleaning kit" . I take an cleaning jag and either use spit for cleaning or have some patches soaked in my cleaner of choice in ziplocks or 35 mm film canisters (if you can still find them)

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:51 pm

txhunter58 ::wel to Muley Madness nice to see you over here for a change
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:56 pm

I think you got good advice from someone who knows in the form of txhunter58. He's seasoned. I'd also offer that you should get good sights. No scopes allowed and most fiber optics cover up the whole critter when you are 100 yards away. I use a peep on the rear and a hooded crosshair (1 MOA) on the front. You can get these from Brownells and they reduced my group size by 50%.

Don't worry about not using pellets. Those speed loaders are fast and work great. And with a muzz, it's the first shot that counts.