45 Cal for Colorado

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

45 Cal for Colorado

Post by ICMDEER » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 am

Just curious if anyone has good ideas for muzz projectiles for Colorado. I should draw this year and would like to use my 45 for deer. I used powerbelts last time and it was a disaster. Took 3 shots to finish the buck. Will the powerbelt platinums be better? Will Hornady have a 45? Are there other good options?

Thanks for any help.

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Re: 45 Cal for Colorado

Post by JLROOT » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:58 pm

I can'nt help you on the type of bullet to use. You should keep a couple of things in mind for muzzle loading season in Colorado.

1. Sabots are not allowed.
2. Powder pellets are not allowed.
3. Scopes are not allowed.

I know of a couple of guys that shoot a round lead ball from their in line muzzy. According to them it works realy well, requires less powder, and the bullets are a lot cheaper. When I used to hunt with an inline I used a buffalo bullet. As the saying goes "one shot, one kill".
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:19 pm

what powerbelt did you use? I am from southern colorado. Powerbelts have a powder limit, push them to fast they can over expand and fragment.

http://www.thepowerbeltforum.powerguild.net

I can help you out.

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:19 pm

It's been 5 years since that happened. I'd have to go look. I do know that I followed the info provided by powerbelt. But the bullet fragemented terribly. First one hit the shoulder and never penetrated. The second shot (I did well to find him) was as he was moving away and it hit him far back. Third shot finally finished the job.

Anyway, I did follow directions. But I have heard quite a few stories about powerbelts coming apart. Do you think the platinums are better?

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:20 pm

yeah the 300gr plats are awesome. use 80 - 100gr pellets and it will do great.

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Can't use pellets in Colorado, but I'll try the load. I already bought the platinums, so I'm looking forward to a decent day when I can go shoot. Looking at tomorrow's weather here in Wyoming, it's not going to be this weekend.

Thanks.

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:17 pm

start off with 70gr and work your way up until accuracy falls off. I dont think you will need to go over 100gr.

Heres some 300gr plats shots into damp sand @ 100 yards. My nephew is shooting t he 225s, 275s and 300 plats in his .45cal.

txhunter58
Fawn
Fawn

Post by txhunter58 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:44 pm

You might try great plains, no excuses, or maxiballs. all should do well for deer.

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:54 am

Thanks, guys. I've been trying to avoid the Great Plains, maxi balls, because they are so heavy and drop off so quickly. I'd like to be able to shoot as far as possible (at least 150 yards) because I'll be in open country. That's why i'm trying to use the 45 instead of my 50 caliber muzz rifles on this hunt. Looks like I am aware of the choices and will likley just shoot the platinums. Hope to smack a BIG buck about the 12th of September.

Thanks again.

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:22 pm

285gr hornady great plains i never could get to shoot for crap in any .45s ive owned. The 240gr maxiball with a wad did really well but i lost 2 deer to them :>/

ICMDEER - When you find the Powerbelt thats accurate, let me know what you're shooting and i can tell you if its a safe load or not. I shoot a lot of Powerbelts to test and report on my forum for those shooting them.

Also the drop, Its not as bad as you think. I always sight in dead on @ 100 and am ususally only 3 to 4" low @ 150 yards depending on what grain of powerbelt i am using.