Just got a new muzzleloader...

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Just got a new muzzleloader...

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Hey all, it was like Christmas this 4th of July because I got to go to Cabela's and buy a new muzzleloader! I picked up the T/C Omega .50 cal. The only other muzzleloader I had used was a friends, so I wasn't real familiar with the actual 'performance aspects' of the gun other than it shot good enough to get the job done.

Well, to say the least, I was super impressed with my new setup. First of all, my second shot out of the barrel hit the bullseye. Then I backed up to 100 yards and shot about a dozen more shots. Shot 3 groups under 1", with all four bullets touching on one.

I set up the chronograph so I could get a read on my different loads. I was shooting 250 gr. Hornady SST sabots, with 80 gr., 90 gr., and 100 gr. of Blackhorn 209. The 80 grain loads shot around 2225 fps, the 90 gr. shot around 2300 fps, and the 100 gr. shot around 2350! I never expected that type of performance! Those readings are all over 400 fps faster than what the BH 209 container says they will do. Also, each different load shot a 1" group.

The barrel stayed really clean, and loading was never a problem. At one point, I shot 7 shots in a row, and the 7th shot was just as easy to load as the 2nd and was just as accurate....3 wet patches later and the barrel was clean. I definitely could have gone longer without cleaning, but I didn't want to chance it with a new gun. Anyway, just thought I'd post in case someone else was thinking of buying a new muzzleloader. I definitely recommend the T/C Omega! If anyone has any questions, I'll answer to the best of my ability! Can't wait until October 10th now!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just got a new muzzleloader...

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Sounds like you have a great setup and are shooting well. :thumb

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:55 am

+1 on the Omega. I'm a fan of my Omega .50 cal.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

TommyColey
Spike
Spike

Post by TommyColey » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:14 am

thanks for the info I'm thinking of a new ML myself.

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:01 am

sounds fun!!
"I'm a Backwoods Boy! I grew up on a Dirt Road!"-Josh Turner