Beginner

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Beginner

Post by hound_hunter » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:13 pm

Well i've done the bow thing, i've done the rifle, now its time for somethin inbetween those seasons =D> . I've been wantin to get into muzzy huntin for about 2 years now but never have. It seems like a good and successful way to get some good tags. Just curious, firstly, what is a good muzzleloader? good, dependable brand. Long lasting and accurate up to 150 yds or so, and not TOO complecated to figure out? In everyones opinion, if you were just starting out today, but had the knowlege you have right now, what would you go out and buy? (I'm looking for reasonably priced muzzies too, nothing too pricey)
Thanks;
Weston G.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:17 pm

Couple people have asked this same question recently in the threads just below yours. :)

Here is the link to one of them...

http://www.muleymadness.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=876

I don't own a muzzleloader so I can't help you out much.

brett

Jackalope
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jackalope » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:02 am

If i was to do it again i'd get the same gun i have now a Thompson Omega. Well maybe not the same but with a thumb hole stock. Where i work they have a Thompson Omega with a thumbhole stock for $339.00. A reguler stock is $319.00.

Omegas are easy to clean simple and puts it whhere you want it. Whne i was looking at getting a MZ i searched for a long time it finally came down to going to the store and holding then to see which one felt best to me.

muleystalker01
2 point
2 point

Post by muleystalker01 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:00 am

I know that everyone has a prefferance for what they like so I will put my 2 cents in.This may be cheap and called not very good but I own a traditions buckhunter inline muzzleloader in .50 cal.I bought the whole kit which consisted of rifle, powder, lead, powder measurer, quick loaders, cleaner and a few other things for $179.00 new I have had this muzzleloader for a few years and would not hesitate a 150 to 200 yard shot.yes it does take the old caps but hey it has never let me down,is very easy to clean and has great balance. the best thing to do is look at what you have to spend look around and get oppinions on the ones you are interested in.In my opinion traditions makes a very good muzzleloader that is often overlooked due to name recognition when looking for muzzleloaders.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:12 pm

Sounds like a great deal muleystalker01 - That's about what i'm lookin for, somethin that might last me a few years but is really just to get me started for not too much - From what i've been looking up on prices, to get a pack like that seems pretty good, Now i'm sure there's plenty of things that may be better about all the big named muzzys out there, but i'll bet this one still gets the job done for a while. Thanks again, Where did you get this? Or where can I get somethin like this?

muleystalker01
2 point
2 point

Post by muleystalker01 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:31 pm

Got mine at K-mart but I have seen em at Scheels and Cabelas.they also have really good deals in the sportsmans guide.here is one.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=221821
hope this helps and good luck.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:42 pm

knight makes some good smoke poles. i have a disc and have never had any problems with it.
9er