New Conical - Thor!

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

New Conical - Thor!

Post by FrontierGander » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:19 am

Heres some info on a New Bullet that i have been shooting! They are solid copper conicals weighing from 247, 250 and 300 grain. As you'll see, They are Accurate! :thumb

www.ThorBullets.com

Im going to start out with my very first shot with the Thor bullets in my Fathers sidelock, then move on to my recent stuff after i had some shooting range time with the bullets and learned what kind of powder charges they like.

I got my bullets today so i took a Cabelas Sporterized Hawken .50cal out to my 100 yard range. My first shot was at my sand bucket so i could recover the bullet ( I did!!) and my next 3 shots were at the target.

I ordered the .500" 247gr Colorado Thor and on a clean bore, they will lift off the charge but once you foul it, they stay in place tight. This rifle will be using a fouled bore during hunting season.

Accuracy - My first outing i was pretty over heated with firing 3 rifles and getting everything on.

First 3 shot group @ 100 yards.
I was dang happy with this group because this rifle has a 1:48 twist and supposedly wasnt supposed to do to great with these bullets. My guess is due to the length but im a believer in the words "You'll never know, Until you try"

After the 4 shots, i took it home and swabbed the barrel clean and took a rest to settle the nerves and measure out more powder charges and to weigh the bullets on my scale.

I used (94 grains by weight) Goex 3f in this rifle and the fouling was very acceptable.

Accuracy again, Pretty darn awesome! I blew shot #3 probably due to running up and down the range after each shot but thats okay, thats what you do when you're in the field hunting.

Shot #1 left a big smile on my face ear to ear.

I do plan on swabbing between shots just to see if accuracy will get even better or if it will do the opposite.

It was an awesome day and the rifle is now ready for hunting season after just 7 shots!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: The rifle is now using a .501" Colorado Thor and it fits perfect! The .500" Thor was just slightly to small.

I took my dad out this evening to sight in his Cabelas Hawken for his eye sight. Didnt have to make any adjustments.

He hadn't shot this rifle in a year and a half. After this group, he walked up and said " Holy Duck!" I gave you all the PG13 Version rather than the exact words :lol2:

Again, the .500" Colorado Thor with 90gr 3f Goex behind it @ 100 yards, open sights. 1:48 twist is Excellent for this bullet.

We spent the next hour trying out Pyrodex RS and the first 2 shots would be a 1 1/2" group but the 3rd would throw it either 6 inches high or low. I wasnt impressed with Pyrodex RS and RS has always been my favorite. In a couple days we will try 110gr RS and see if that fixes the flyers. burn who knows, Could have even been shooter error. No need to make excuses. Plenty of time to figure Out the RS and get it on track.

Update - It took 110gr Pyrodex RS to match the 90gr 3f Goex load Pattern.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CVA Accura .50cal - Play time with the Thor!

Installed the Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 on the Accura today and sighted in with 90gr pyrodex RS and the 250gr Harvester Sabertooth bullets. I wanted to save the thors as i only have 19 left out of 82 :shock:

The sabertooths and Thors shoot the same POI so thats a great thing.

My first 3 shots with the Thors at 100 yards ( 110gr RS/ W209 Primer) I allowed a 4 minute cool down and shot a Quarter size hole. Shots #2 and #3 are basically in the same hole, but as you can see from shot #1 the difference in the size of the hole.

Im impressed! When my brother in law and i go for his new mexico deer/elk hunt we will be sighting in with the 250gr Ballistic Tip Thor. He has a deer hunt in Sept - 4 days after my hunt ends in colorado ( Be nice and tired for his hunt) . He also has a cow elk hunt in mid/late December.

Im all finished shooting the Accura until hunting season is here! My open sights were adjusted in a way so i could mount the scope without removing them and having to resight in.

Now the 2 shots in the black were my final 2 shots, i didnt give the allow any time to cool down. Just shot and reloaded as fast as possible. Also note the taped up hole above the 3 shot group. That is were the 250gr Sabertooth conicals impact with 90gr RS.

W209 primers as always were super clean.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CVA Accura with 250gr Ballistic Tip Thor - As you can see, it goes from Good, To Holy Smokes!!!!!
I messed up shot #3 and flinched! ( you can easily see shot 3 as its way off to the left of the other two shots) I didn't put the rifle good enough into my shoulder and when it went off, the rifled jumped up on shot #2 and the scope got me right between the eyes. I flinched pretty good on my next shot even though i knew it wouldnt be like the last shot :lol2:

The 250 ballistic tips shoot great and on my next time out with them i will be shooting 130gr Pyrodex RS & see how that does.

Went out again with Winchester 777 primers on the first outing. A nice 2" group and no crud ring! The primers though are just so darn dirty that i hate using them. I'll probably just use them for hunting season and keep them off the shooting range.

I took 3 more shots with a different primer and wasnt to sure what went on with #1 shot as it grouped way down low. The Winchester W209 that i shot on my second grouping are supposed to group POI and so #1 has me a little confused.

The only difference i can think of, is when i shot the 777 primers, it was very cool out and when i went to the W209's i had my long sleeve off and was sweating pretty good. Maybe barrel heat up.

I found the sweet spot!! One of my powder measures throws a lighter 75.8 grains (weight) powder charge. Thats 110gr Volume.

The previous shooting events were with 80 grains and they would group 2" center - center.

I did swab on shot #3 as i had to work #2 bullet through a slight crud ring.

Also, the holes were a lot larger when i shot. After my 4th shot which was for scope adjustment ( click to the left and 3 clicks up for 2" high @ 100) It started to rain on me and didnt stop for 2 1/2 hours. The paper is wet and so the holes shrunk up on me.

Check out what 75.8 grains Pyrodex RS did with the 250 BT and Winchester 777 primer.

I'd say thats pretty much well under 1" Outside to Outside 3 shot group :lol2:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet Testing:

247gr Colorado Thor - 100 yards - Jug of water in front of sand bucket.

This is the first bullet i ran through the water jug and into damp sand at 50 yards with 90gr pyrodex rs.
Bullet was .500" Dia New. After recovery it Expanded to 1.17"

247 Thor with 110gr Pyrodex RS @ 50 yards into water jug and damp sand.

Bullet on the left was 90gr RS - Bullet on the Right was 110gr RS. I can see a difference by looking at the "star" in the middle of the bullet. The 110gr charge pealed the pedals back more.

Bullet on the left - 1.17" - Bullet on the right (110gr RS) .966" The pedals are pulled back more than the bullet with the 110gr charge.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

250gr Ballistic Tip Thor:

As you'll see from the picture, My cam took a hit from the water and the lens is still fogged up. I used our other camera but its no where near as good as the other cam with close up pics.

Also, 247.4 is what the bullet weighs without the plastic Ballistic tip. So basically it lost zero weight. That tip did its job and opened the bullet up!

Movie, ( If movie does not show up, go to you tube and type in * FrontierGander* and my list of short clip movies will show up, including the Thor clip)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ytWUvdOczsg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ytWUvdOczsg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The bullet did awesome!!

More pictures with my other camera that finally dried out :lol2:

Last edited by FrontierGander on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Conical - Thor!

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:56 am

Wow that post took some serious thought and effort. Thanks for the info.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Good stuff! I think you should go to work for Thor.A lot of promise there for hunting in Colorado.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:43 pm

A lot of promise there for hunting in Colorado.

+1
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:30 pm

WOW, that was one heck of a write up! Definitely something I'll have to look into. Thanks for the info!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:01 pm

holy smokes FRONTEIRGANDER, AWSOME POST!

so there is no sabbot?

thats reaaly great info, if there is no sabot, or any plastic on the bullet , it will be legal for oregon!

again, thanks for taking the time to post! :thumb

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:14 pm

No sabot!

Its a full bore diameter conical made of solid copper, Zero lead. We'll be using them on deer,elk & bear this september. Hopefully i will be able to post the result pictures.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a look at those.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Heck of a post!!!! Those bad boys there are definatley going to be somthing to try out!!! :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:05 pm

I e-mailed Terry and he got back with me real quick. He is going to send me a combo pack to see which one fits the best. I'm really looking forward to trying these puppies out.

With the hollow backs like that, do these bullets whistle in flight?
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL