THE NEW CVA APEX MUZZLELOADER

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

THE NEW CVA APEX MUZZLELOADER

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Well I made the plunge today after LOTS of research. I wanted the interchangeable barrel system like the T/C Encore and Pro Hunter. After much scrutiny, I decided to go for the CVA APEX. I can't tell you how stoked I am!! This is one sweet rifle by feel and quality. I had honestly had my mind set on the Encore, but after the write ups and hands on, I was SOLD!!! I can't wait to get to the range and shoot this rifle. Bergara Barrels are considered the best manufactured barrels and most write ups suggested T/C owners to upgrade also. Anyway, the 1 thing I don't like is it doesn't come with a open sight. It comes with a scope rail, but most states don't allow scopes, so I don't understand that one.

I'm going to buy the 22-250 barrel for Coyote's this winter. Another feature I like on this rifle is the trigger adjust. Found out that the T/C comes with a 4.75 Trigger and costs about 100 bucks to get done. The APEX lets you adjust to 3 lbs, which I prefer. Anything lighter than that is dangerous in MY opinion. I say that for Hunting and not the range. We hunt with gloves sometimes and adrenaline makes for a dangerous situation. Anyway, I'll post back on how it shoots. Trying to figure out what sabot and projectile to use. I'm open to suggestions.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Re: THE NEW CVA APEX MUZZLELOADER

Post by FrontierGander » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:52 pm

You lucky dog!

Apex never was meant to come with open sights, Its was designed strictly to be a scoped muzzleloader. Even the stock design was made for comfort with a scope.

Have you tried adjusting the trigger? They go from 3lbs up to 5lbs.

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:41 pm

I've played with the trigger a little. Everything just feels smooth. I don't know what it's set at right now, but I don't think I'll change it. It's about right where i want it. I take it you like those powerbelts? i'll check out the forum.
That APEX was hard to find. i went through a lot of states to find one. I called Cabelas in South Dakota and they had two. I ended up driving out of my way to get one. Thank heaven I'm a Truck Driver lol
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:54 pm

Actually in that Apex give the Thors a try! These suckers are scary accurate in my CVA Accura :not-worthy

http://www.muleymadness.com/forum/viewt ... f=7&t=9164

Email Thor and request a sample pack ( Free of charge) it comes with 4 bullets .500 - .501 - .502 and .503" Start out with the smallest and find out which bullet fits the snuggest. Should go down with 25-30lbs pressure. This sample is just to figure out what diameter bullet you're will need, After that you can order the real deal and start shooting :thumb

For Powerbelts, Give the 270 -300 and 338gr Platinum a look, they shot the best along with the 245gr Aerotip.
Last edited by FrontierGander on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:37 am

I'll try those Thor's and see how they work. Are they at a Bass Pro or anything yet?
I appreciate your feedback. You seem to know what you're talking about. :not-worthy
I'm looking forward to to seeing how it shoots. It does suck that I won't have a lot of time to play with it before my Central Utah hunt starts. I pretty much will have to be stuck with the first thing I try. With my bonus points I should draw a Muzzy Nevada tag for next year. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a late Muley or Whitetail hunt in North Dakota with my Muzzy. Well see I guess.
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:31 pm

No, Right now the Thors are available only on their website www.ThorBullets.com

My guess is that you'll need the .500" or .501" Dia bullet. So far they've been doing great with charges of 90 to 110gr pyrodex RS. Very easy bullets to sight in. I had traded for a traditions inline and i hadnt owned it one day and was already putting 3 shots into a 1" group @ 100 yards lol

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:36 pm

I do have to admit that I own a Traditions Pursuit Pro and love it. I personally feel that Traditions makes the best feeling Muzzleloaders on the Market. I almost pulled the trigger on a Vortek, but i stayed focused lol I'll email Thor and see what they say.
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:39 pm

I also wanted to ask how the Thor's and the Powerbelts shot out at 200 yards? I hear Powerbelts get sloppy at that distance, is it true?
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:52 pm

GUTPYLZ wrote:I also wanted to ask how the Thor's and the Powerbelts shot out at 200 yards? I hear Powerbelts get sloppy at that distance, is it true?
I normally shoot 175 yards Max. The best group i got with Powerbelts @ 175 with a scoped inline was 2" with 80gr RS and a 405gr Powerbelt , off of shooting sticks.

I've yet to shoot Thors past 150 yards. I had just enough time to find the bullet sizes i needed, sight in & do some bullet testings. Hunting season came up pretty quick on me. I will be doing more shooting though at 150 and even 200 yards this fall/winter with the Thors.

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:43 pm

Hunting season came up pretty quick on me.
lol I hear that!! I work hard all summer to be able to take the time off in the fall. It kills my scouting and preparation. This year I'm scouting 3 to 4 days in advance of the hunt, that should help. Lets both pray we get lucky enough to post a picture of a nice respectable buck for this forum. [-o< lol
SPENCER W. KIMBALL