Attention all UT Muzzleload Hunters!!!! Bad news

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
wounded_w
Fawn
Fawn

Attention all UT Muzzleload Hunters!!!! Bad news

Post by wounded_w » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Your Muzzleload hunts are about to change for the worse(IMO).Check out the home page for the UDWR. under news, Big game changes for 2011. The muzzleload will be after the 1st of 2 rifle hunts and the same time as muzzleload Elk. Make your voices heard at your RAC meetings. The meetings for this agenda start The 1st week of Nov. Plus Muzzleload Elk and Deer are at the same time. So hope you like the same area for both cause ya can't be in 2 places at once. :>/

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Re: Attention all UT Muzzleload Hunters!!!! Bad news

Post by GUTPYLZ » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:20 pm

That doesn't make sense to have the hunt after a rifle hunt. I don't know what their trying to accomplish with that?
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:11 am

If your going to run hunts back to back run the two rifle hunts back to back, rest the deer/elk for a week or two then run the muzzleloader. The muzzleloader deer/elk hunt would end up opening the same time the muzzleloader generel elk seadon opens now. I like that they are looking at making changes but when you look at the proposed table the first thing that jumps out at you is the muzzleloaders are getting hosed. I like hunting with all weapons, but if I have a muzzleloader tag I want the opportunity for a quality hunt, but hunting the terrified left overs from a long rifle hunt is not going to create that opportunity.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:41 pm

I do like the idea of two rifle hunts. There was just to many hunters out together this year. I just don't want to do it at the expense of the Muzzleloader hunt being in the middle.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

Elko
2 point
2 point

Post by Elko » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:34 pm

They probably assume that a lot more deer will get killed with the two rifle hunts so they want to stick the muzzleloader in between so fewer deer are killed since they won't be able to get close to them.

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:14 pm

That sucks !!
so we will get about 8 total days for muzzle loader hunting ?? , instead of 10 for deer and 10 for elk . ?? Plus the area i hunt has little pressure for the Muzzy Elk hunt but a ton for the deer . sound like they want them both there at the same time . it will be crazy and will be way too crowded .

Now if they would put the deer hunt in November with the muzzle loader Elk and made it longer that would be great .

here is what i got of the there site ! so we will get only 8 days of hunting in for the year with the muzzy !! Boy if i had the money i would just hunt out of state . ](*,) ](*,)

GS Muzz Deer/GS Muzz elk 10/12 - 10/20
Last edited by UtahRob on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABert

Post by ABert » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:02 pm

I didn't read what the changes are but if I were one of you Utes, I'd highly suggest to those that make the regs to take a look at how Colorado sets up their seasons. Seems to work out pretty good, IMHO.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Like noted above , good elk areas don't always have a lot of deer . My deer hunting area has NO elk and the place i elk hunt ( N . CACHE ) has very few deer . so it would be a joke trying to hunt both . I don't know about you guys, but the season seem too short as it is . I would rather have a hunt for each . ](*,) If they do this i may just save up and hunt out of state every few years rather than give Utah my $$$ .

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:21 pm

That's the nice thing about Colorado, you CAN hunt both in the same unit AND have success for both.

The two units we favor are big enough that the terrain favors deer in some areas and elk in others. Once in a while, such as this year, we find elk in the "deer" areas and other times find deer in the "elk" areas.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:23 am

Another thing there is no gap between the gun season and muzzle loader season . The gun season ends then the muzzle loader season starts the very next day , everything will be spooked .This is a joke !! ](*,)