Antelope Island Open?

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Antelope Island Open?

Post by firefighterbraun » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:48 pm

So I'm just wondering if shed hunting is allowed on Antelope Island.....would like to be able to go someplace where there might be some decent sized sheds and not a million people, like on the Henry's. LOL Also, do elk shed about the same time as deer?

For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Re: Antelope Island Open?

Post by For The Love of It » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:03 am

I'm of no help about your antelope Island question but as far as if elk shed the same time as deer it has been my experience that elk tend to keep their antlers longer then the deer. I have been watching quite a few elk and deer in the area I shed hunt and the bigger bucks seem to have already lost their horns and now the smaller ones are following suit. The elk on the other hand all still have their antlers on. I figure by middle or end of febuary the bigger bulls will start to shed. Hope this helps

Yelum
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Yelum » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:45 am

They have a couple open access days on the island during the year. Costs $25 plus the entry fee. Don't have the dates set yet. Its the toughest shed hunt around, but a few get lucky.
Yelum

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I've been watching a couple of nice bucks close to home. Saw a nice 5 point bull the other night and then lucked into finding a nice 180 class buck.....so hopefully I'll be able to get on his sheds once he drops them.