August ATL....Back In The Game

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
SoleSearcher
Fawn
Fawn

August ATL....Back In The Game

Post by SoleSearcher » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks to a variety of excuses I have been out of the shed hunting game for about 3 yrs now. I don't live as close to my shed grounds as I once did so it is harder/more expensive to get out, the birth of my 4th and final son and the biggest of all a nagging and progressively worsening knee injury. After having successful knee surgery I really have been itching to get back out there and burn some boot leather. Even though it is mid august I just couldn't wait any longer so I made a little trip to the hills sunday and did some fishing first thing in the morning and a good hike in some roadside country that produced a few bones for my son and I several years ago. I knew that alot of folks hit this spot hard but was hopeful that I could stumble on something they missed...............turns out they missed one anyway.
Summer 2011 Family Fun-fishing 099b.jpg
Summer 2011 Family Fun-fishing 099b.jpg (170.31 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
Spent the next 2 hours or so looking for the match(good chance that it is in someones home already) to no avail. Due to all the moisture here this year the groundcover is really high so I could have missed it really easily. Sure makes one appreciate springtime when the snow has flattened all the grass down and visibility is at it's best. No big load to haul out today but I'll take a big single on a short hike anytime.....a start is a start. A big thanks to all you guys out there that have posted up pictures and stories and inspired me to get back out after it. Haven't taped it yet but I would guess this one to measure in the low to mid 80's. It is always shed season(excluding seasonal closures of course) so keep after 'em guys!
"ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE, NEVER AN ORDEAL"

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Re: August ATL....Back In The Game

Post by hound_hunter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:25 am

SoleSearcher wrote:the birth of my 4th and final son
I've been meeting a lot of 2nd "final" children the past couple years, haha. Since that's the plan I hope no...accidents...come about for you lol

Great single though! I'd be happy with that on a long hike/day trip solely for sheds. I'm glad things worked out for you, and that you were able to do some fishing and enjoy the hiking along with the find. I imagine it makes it especially nice having it been in an area you expected to be picked clean too.

And congrats on the healthy recovery post-surgery! That probably make the whole trip most enjoyable, your first time back outdoors after being cooped up and injured. Thanks for sharing the pic.

SoleSearcher
Fawn
Fawn

Re: August ATL....Back In The Game

Post by SoleSearcher » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:34 am

LOL....Hound Hunter!!!!

My last was delivered via caesarean-section so my wife and I made the descision together and she had them tie her tubes when they delivered a healthy baby boy(Jesse). Sooooo............barring a miraculous conception I don't think a "2nd last" will be coming. As an avid elk hunter I figured these legs and back won't hold forever so I needed one boy for each elk quarter come packing time when I get older. Of course in the meantime I will be grunting and sweating "paying it forward" since I will have an increased packload getting all of their game off the mountain before they are all old enough to take over the task themselves. In fact my oldest(Taylor) turns 12 on October 1st of this year so he has already drawn his first elk and muley tags for this fall.......the work begins. Not excited about how fast the years have flown by but am very excited to have the chance to help my son enjoy the hunting experience with tag in his hand and hopefully enjoy his first of many harvests as well. I better start saving $$$$$ now though as his twin brothers will be eligible to hunt in just 5 short years too.......gonna get expensive fast!!!
"ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE, NEVER AN ORDEAL"