Up coming "season"!

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
shedhunter
Spike
Spike

Up coming "season"!

Post by shedhunter » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:53 am

The season is nearing in my part of the country and I am itching! When you've got the bug there is nothing like a good long day of horn hunting! The first browns could be on the ground up north, but it still seems too far off for bucks and bulls down south here! Keep after 'em and I'd like to see some pics when the time is right! Good luck to you horn fanatics!
~shedhunter~

bittersweetmuleymeat
Fawn
Fawn

droppin in Mt attatching photos????

Post by bittersweetmuleymeat » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:51 am

I have seen a few older bucks drop in the last week. The earliest browns I have found in Mt were the 26th of Dec but average is Feb 1-15. Say, I cant figure out how to attach photos, can you run me through it. Im a better horn hunter than I am a PC user, Thanks!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:31 am

Bittersweet, WELCOME!

Try this link for help with photos...
http://www.muleymadness.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301

I believe you can upload photos to the web here...

http://tinypic.com/

Then follow the instructions in the link. Hope this helps.

brett

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:25 am

When do bull elk shed in Utah anyone know? And anyone know the difference between say Northern vs. Southern Utah.

It seems like the Elk still have a ways to go before they drop. Muleys drop 1st. Just not real sure when Elk drop?

How about other states?

shedhunter
Spike
Spike

Elk

Post by shedhunter » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:49 pm

As far as I know down this way I usually start finding browns the first week in march down south here. I know there are exceptions to the rule, but as far as I know the date seems to be pretty much a general time, not too many big bulls roaming after that second week, some I've seen pack into April though too. Its a fine science that hopefully someday we can all master! From what I have been told, others say that elk are more a timing thing, drop on a time schedule, and deer differ by their own biological clock (it makes sense to me cause some of the bigger deer will drop in January and others it could be into April before a side hits the ground). I am no expert, by any means, but this has been the case for me.
~shedhunter~

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:32 pm

Why is it that generally Elk carry they antlers longer than deer?
Don't Elk reach full velvet the same time as deer or even earlier?

Just curious as to why they pack them longer.

Thanks for the opinion Shedhunter.

shedhunter
Spike
Spike

Not much experience.

Post by shedhunter » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:40 pm

MuleyMadness:

I cannot answer that one, I could give it a guess, but it is strictly opinion. I know that the full velvet thing is true, elk do reach their full potential in horn growth earlier and shed their velvet up to a month before some bucks even start to rub. I would like to hear others opinons on this, I would just make a guess of elk packing longer because they have a lot more bone to break down before it falls off their head. Deer would have smaller antlers and thus less horn to breakdown between the old horn and the new antler. I really have no clue though! Any biologists have the right answer??
~shedhunter~

Anonymous

NM sheds

Post by Anonymous » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:40 pm

Has anyone found any sheds in New Mexico yet. Because I saw a Buck with one side off already.

flyn_y
Fawn
Fawn

Post by flyn_y » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:47 pm

really in what part of NM did you see this? if you dont mind me asking. I have been hunting sheads in NM for years. I dont normally start looking for sheads untill mid to late march and thats early in my opinion.

Anonymous

NM sheds

Post by Anonymous » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:11 pm

In the southern part of Mora county. Where do you look for sheds in New Mexico.