Bullet choice for elk

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
deerhuntenokie
Fawn
Fawn

Bullet choice for elk

Post by deerhuntenokie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:00 pm

To all you elk hunters out there, what would be your choice of bullets for a muzzleloading elk hunt in Colorado where sabots are not legal. I understand that I will need to experiment with my gun to see which bullet groups the best but thought someone might have some experience on bullet performance. I have never shot an animal that big with a muzzle loader so I do not know what to expect.
deerhuntenokie

tapehoser
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Bullet choice for elk

Post by tapehoser » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 am

250 grain bullet or larger + 100 grains of FF2 should do the trick. I have tried 300-500 grain bullets as well and gotten great accuracy, but you will likely need to reduce the powder a bit.
Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket???

deerhuntenokie
Fawn
Fawn

Post by deerhuntenokie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks I have been looking at the Powerbelts but have heard that they did not expand well on whitetails. Also looking at the great plains bullet but I think it is solid lead and was worried about penetration should i hit a major bone on the way in.
deerhuntenokie

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:54 am

You might take a look at Thor's and FPB's if they shoot well for you. A bit pricey though.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:58 pm

dahlmer wrote:You might take a look at Thor's and FPB's if they shoot well for you. A bit pricey though.

The Hornady FPB is a good choice, although the reviews I've read everywhere are about a 50:50 split for love:hate. However, if your gun "likes" them they are a sweet shooting bullet.
I shoot Hornady & got great expansion and knock down on mule deer the last two seasons.
Couldn't pay me to change.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 pm

These will be a great choice. Basically a full bore Barnes bullet.

http://thorbullets.com/
Keep your nose in the wind.

NH Hunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NH Hunter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:14 am

I need to check out those Thor bullets. I normally use the Hornady Great Plains bullets. I have also used a TC lead conical with the felt gas checks. I don't remember the name of them because it's been a while since I shot them. I have a bunch of Powerbelts but I won't use them in the field. They fall out of the barrel of my gun if they come loose from the plastic gas check. When your barrel is clean, take a gas check off a Powerbelt and drop it down the barrel. See if it drops all the way to the breach. To me, that's too loose. If I tip the muzzle to the floor, they fall right out. For gun I load at the begining of the season and carry around the whole time, I want to make sure the bullets still in the barrel when the big one walk out in the open. Check you gun because I think there's variation in actual bore diameter. They may fit great in some guns. FWIW, there are some rifling marks in recovered Powerbelts so they must be soft enough to squash a little when fired. I dig them out of the sand bank at the range. I actually thought about gluing the gas check to the Powerbelt bullet.
Gregg

Elk, Deer, Bear, Turkey...and someday....Moose