Spotting Scope Magnification for Idaho Muleys

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
byuauhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Spotting Scope Magnification for Idaho Muleys

Post by byuauhunter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:41 am

Could use some insight on spotting scopes. I need to pick one up prior to this season but my budget is strictly about $100 due to other expenses. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a decent model in the next year or to but it's all I have to work with for the time being.

I've poked around craigslist and optics planet. I hunt primarily SW Idaho for mule deer.

I realize it's not likely ideal but would a 15-30 power be adequate? I've seen a deal for a used Alpen 15-30. I realize 45 or 60 is probably preferred. Would you even touch a scope that only goes to 30? Or should I be only looking and 45 or 60's?

Again, because of my budget I'm painted into a corner a bit.

If you only had $100, any particular make/model recommendation or does it even matter because they all are crap? :))

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Re: Spotting Scope Magnification for Idaho Muleys

Post by dahlmer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Honestly, I would save your money until you can afford to buy something worth packing around the mountain. I don't see any need to spend for the high-end stuff, but you probably ought to hold out until you can afford to spend $400+. Anything else and I think you will wish you had just waited.

30 power would be adequate for a lot of situations, but if you get out passed 1,000 yards you may find it difficult to get good detail. Whatever you do, don't forget to pay attention the the size of you objective lens. Bigger is better as it allows your scope to gather more light and will give you more use in low light situations. I have a 25x45 power scope with a 65 mm objective lens and that makes a pretty good difference in comparison to scopes I have looked through that only have a 60 mm objective lens. Anything that goes beyond 45 power you will probably want to spend more $$$ in order to make use of that extra power. Heat waves, distortion, etc. wreak havoc at magnification that high.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:53 pm

Not sure you can find anything of real value for that money either, unless it's a real 'deal'.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:14 pm

I bought a Trekker 25-75x75mm from Cabela's for $50 (regularly $99) the day after Thanksgiving because I thought the same... just get something cheap now & save for something better down the road. I wish I would have saved the $50 and waited a little bit longer. If you're like me you've hunted the area without a spotting scope previously so what's another year or two?
Don't get me wrong, I use my scope often and I've spotted my share of game with it. However, there are extreme limitations due to "lesser" or "budget" quality. In good light and keeping it under 50x, I can do just fine for myself, but when I really want to zoom in on a nice buck at dawn or dusk and at 1000+ yards it's a real struggle. If you do decide to pick something up on the cheap for now be realistic with your expectations of the product.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

plentycoupe
Fawn
Fawn

Post by plentycoupe » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:48 am

Check craigslist. I was looking at Wyoming yesterday and there was a couple nice Leupold spotters. Nothing for 100, but if you spend that money you will kick yourself in the butt after you take it to the field and use it.
Listen to the rest and save up for a bit and buy a good one. Once in a lifetime purchase if you do it right.

BackPackerTX
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BackPackerTX » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:18 am

Burris High Country about 180.00 and good waranty but mine broke, they replaced it but broke at worse possible time.

captainemil
Fawn
Fawn

Post by captainemil » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:03 pm

We hunt the West Texas mountians for years, and always had cheep optics.Our scopes were better than binos and spotters. One day I was tired of blury images and broke down and bought Leupold Goldring 15x40 it was unreal how much more can be seen with QUALITY. There are 10 of us on the lease, and there are no more 200.00 binos or spotting scopes. I am not saying we have a lot of money or any thing like that, BUT when you look through a piece of glass 8 hours a day for a few weeks, It was well worth it. The eye strain can get pretty hard, good optics does help, Just my 2 cents

lancetkenyon
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lancetkenyon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Save the $100. Save your loose change, squirrel away what folding money you can scrounge up. Have $20 left over after monthly bills, save it. Go out to eat one less time a month. By the end of one year, you will have $400-500. Do that for 2 years and buy a good scope.

There is nothing better than high end glass, with the exception of maybe comfortable boots and a good hunting partner...and a wife who will let you go buy what you need.