paladin
Spike
Spike

Aspen more important than Elk?

Post by paladin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:14 am

Apparently the government thinks that Aspen trees are more important than elk:

Study: Yellowstone wolves help trees rebound
By MATTHEW BROWN | AP – Tue, Jan 3, 2012

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — The return of gray wolves has dramatically altered the landscape in portions of Yellowstone National Park, as new trees take root in areas where the predators have curbed the size of foraging elk herds, according to scientists in a new study.

Stands of aspen, willow and cottonwood are expanding in areas where for decades dense elk populations prevented new growth, said study author William Ripple from Oregon State University.

While other factors may play a role, from a changing climate to wildfires, more than a decade of research has confirmed earlier assertions that the return of Yellowstone's elk-hungry wolves has spurred new plant growth, he said.

The findings from Ripple and co-author Robert Beschta will be published in the scientific journal Biological Conservation. The study already has been released online.

Wolves are "apex predators, on top of the food web," Ripple said. "They're more than just charismatic animals that are nice to have around. We're finding that their function in nature is very important."

Wolves have spin-off benefits, too, the researchers said: As trees grow taller, the stands provide more habitat for yellow warblers and other songbirds and more food for beavers, which in turn construct ponds that attract fish, reptiles and amphibians.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun . . . it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Thomas Jefferson, 1785

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Re: Aspen more important than Elk?

Post by one hunting fool » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:55 am

I love how the author side steps all the devistation the wolves do to the elk with "As trees grow taller, the stands provide more habitat for yellow warblers and other songbirds and more food for beavers, which in turn construct ponds that attract fish, reptiles and amphibians"
D-bags run the park's bio dept.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:24 pm

paladin wrote:Stands of aspen, willow and cottonwood are expanding in areas where for decades dense elk populations prevented new growth, said study author William Ripple from Oregon State University.
Wolves have spin-off benefits, too, the researchers said: As trees grow taller, the stands provide more habitat for yellow warblers and other songbirds and more food for beavers, which in turn construct ponds that attract fish, reptiles and amphibians.
Of course he's happy that there's more food for the beavers... he's a beaver himself!
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Muleys 24/7
Spike
Spike

Post by Muleys 24/7 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:22 pm

thats something else

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:12 am

I hope the EPA doesnt shut those beavers down for destroying the water ways as they are naturally occuring. I dont know who pay their citation either.

gizmo1
2 point
2 point

Post by gizmo1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:30 pm

just another anti b.s. propaganda study. it would be nice if wildlife conservation would one day be dictated by commonsense and science as apposed to this garbage. hunter conservationalists need to stand up together and make our voice heard. we squabble amongst each other to much over how we should hunt and such. meanwhile idiots like this are swaying the hearts and minds of the general public. if we aren't careful we are going to wake up one day and our passion and heritage will be gone. i also wonder how much money was spent on this idiotic study especially since most DNR's have took huge funding cuts this year.
Romans 13: 1-4

ABert

Post by ABert » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 pm

gizmo1 wrote:just another anti b.s. propaganda study. it would be nice if wildlife conservation would one day be dictated by commonsense and science as apposed to this garbage. hunter conservationalists need to stand up together and make our voice heard. we squabble amongst each other to much over how we should hunt and such. meanwhile idiots like this are swaying the hearts and minds of the general public. if we aren't careful we are going to wake up one day and our passion and heritage will be gone. i also wonder how much money was spent on this idiotic study especially since most DNR's have took huge funding cuts this year.
I would almost bet the farm the funding for this "research" was funded by the "I love all wolves" organization.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

stillhunterman
2 point
2 point

Post by stillhunterman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Although there is in fact a truth behind the dramatic changes that have been observed, I have no doubt the reasearchers utilized the wuffies as the cause and effect in order to propell their agenda. There are studies done with similar results, but with DIFFERENT cause and effect data. What is it that they say? Those who speak the loudest gets heard...