Matt Flynn to the Hawks!

Talk related to anything & everything.
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Matt Flynn to the Hawks!

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:38 pm

OK, so he's completely unproven and could turn out like so many other highly thought-of backups that just don't pan out. However, he is most certainly an upgrade to Jackson! And heck, last time we signed a back-up from Green Bay he turned out pretty damned well (Hasselbeck).

I thought Miami had him in the bag but apparently not. I'm pretty stoked about this pick-up, if you can't tell!

Now here's to hoping that the 9ers completely mess up their QB situation! They have pissed off Smith to the point that he is talking to other teams while their front office pursues Payton Manning. I hope Smith does sign with Miami and the 9ers lose out on Manning. That would be the feather in the cap!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Matt Flynn to the Hawks!

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Easy on my Niners Hawk, coach has no personal skills but I like those guys. :)

Yea Smith doesn't seem to happy though, can't blame him.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:56 pm

You really can't, Brett. They have been adament that Alex was their QB since Harbaugh got there. Then, once Manning becomes available, all of a suddent Smith isn't good enough. I'd be upset too.

IMO, and I am not a 9er fan, Smith has never had a fair shake. It's been a revolving door of head coaches and coordinators in SF since he got there and has never had the opportunity to settle into a system. He finally get a head coach with confidence in him and he does awesome. And now this......

Of course, NONE of this is hurting my feelings at all...LOL

(Sorry Brett, I know you like 'em....but I'm a Hawks fan through and through)

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:05 pm

No need to apologize, just messing with ya. :)

Completely agree with your analysis of Smith though.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:09 pm

I think it's a good pickup for the seahawks. he sure looked good in his 1 start this season against a good lions team. 6 t.d.'s in a single game, that shows he's got some talent IMO.

I also hope the 9ers fail at getting peyton. SO HE LANDS IN DENVER:)
I like Tim Tebow, he can really rally a team around him. I really hope they keep him and let him learn behind peyton and under Elway for a few years while peyton finishes his career. If he keeps growing as a Q.B. he will be good in the future.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:28 am

Anyone besideds Peyton Manning and I might agree witih you. But if your Alex Smith in this situation you have to be realistic...Peyton is a Superbowl champ, 4 time MVP, and 1st ballot hall of famer. It's not as if they are going after someone that is all hype. If you have a chance to get Manning, I think you have to go for it.

I agree Smith hasn't had a great start and last season was the first opportunity to really benefit from some stability, but the guy didn't do anything that would convince me that he will be better for the 49's than Manning would be. What I saw in their last playoff game showed me he still has a long way to go.

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Hate to see Matt go but unfortunately we can't pay him what he now deservers.

Smith should thank Manning he just added a couple million dollars to his contract, The 9ers have no choice that I can see but to pay him now. A Interesting note is Smith and Manning have the same agent I know it's a business but Smith couldn't have been happy about his agent trying to get Manning in San Fran.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Hawk, you do realize your are getting a VERY smart QB who has a NC already, right? Yep, played for LSU and led them to the championship in '07. Glad to see him finally get his payday!

And even happier to see Manning go to my Broncos! I really don't Tebow will have a major problem with this, he is too much of a stand up guy and will do whatever is best for the team. Who better to learn from than Peyton?
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:19 am

Oh yea ABert, I realize that. Trust me my friend, I'm pretty stoked about it. Again though, two starts in the NFL doesn't mean a lot, not matter how he did....and college accomplishments seldom directly relate to the NFL. However, in this case I think he has everything needed to be a franchise QB. Starting at LSU, and leading them to the NC, shows that he can handle pressure and physically, he's got all of the tools.

I"m keeping my fingers crossed though...just in case!

Good luck to your Broncs. They will more than likely send Tebow packing though. I don't think Elway wants him anywhere near the sidelines. Tebow is too polarizing of personality and picking up Payton was the only way he was going to get away with shifting Tebow out of the starting spot without backlash from the fans. He got his wish and will now allow Tebow to go ANYWHERE else...LOL.