Advice on calls, cameras, instructional material

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
5pointbull
Fawn
Fawn

Advice on calls, cameras, instructional material

Post by 5pointbull » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:52 am

With this awesome Boulder Elk tag I have that will be going down during the heat of the rut, I was hoping to get some advice on some needed equipment. First of all I would like to find out about various elk calls. I have a Hoochi Mama cow call, but would like to get info on anything that has worked for others. I want to get a good bugle and brush up on my reeds. Second, I would like to find out which trail cameras other hunters like. I would like to go with quantity more than quality, but not sacrifice to badly as I plan on using multiple cameras on the unit. Third, is there any instructional DVDs, Books, etc... that you guys might recommend? I am not new to elk hunting by any means, but it doesn't hurt to further my education. Also I am looking for the best deals, and bang for my dollar, as I am not a rich man. Thanks for any info, contributors will be rewarded with the hopeful spoils of Jerkey from a very old bull elk. :)

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Re: Advice on calls, cameras, instructional material

Post by Shags1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:26 pm

You just missed out on a smoking deal on some Moultrie M80 trail cams at Cabelas. They are my first experience with them, and what I like about them is, they are light and small, picture quality is pretty good. Just set them up in the field this last weekend so we'll see how well they do in different light, wind, etc. and see how battery life is. I reviewed them a bit before I purchased them and people really liked them.
You'll do well with the bugling and cow calls as coaxers. Bugling will be the most effective in the heat of the rut. They'll be on the fight.