Getting Closer

Talk anything related to bowhunting
BOHNTR

Getting Closer

Post by BOHNTR » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:47 pm

This time next week, I'll be driving to Colorado and preparing for the long hike into an alpine bowl to chase velvet clad mule deer. I can hardly wait.......going to hunt there for a week (solo), drive home and go back to work for a week.......then I'm off for three more weeks to Arizona to chase bull elk with the ol' BOHNTR crew. Sometimes I think the anticipation of a hunt is more exciting than the hunt itself! :)

Anyone else heading out next week?
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

jdh
Spike
Spike

Re: Getting Closer

Post by jdh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Man Roy, wish I was going with ya to colorado.. I promise one of these years I'll be able to pull it off.
Me and my boy Wyatt will be after some velvet come saturday on the Utah opener. His goal is 2-point or better, just has to be bigger then the spike he arrowed last year :))

Good Luck Roy, Hope ya find a giant to hunt.

'Ike'
3 point
3 point

Post by 'Ike' » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Be in the Sierra's this Friday for the opener of A14...Muley's on the brain right now after switching gears...However Tule's keep sneaking in there! :))
2010 & 2011 Destroyer 340 - HardWoods HD
BlackGold Sights, RipCord Rest, CarbonTech Shafts, G5 and BuckNasty Strings

codyca
Fawn
Fawn

Post by codyca » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Sounds like a great season! Good luck Sir.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Brings a smile to my face knowing Roy is in the Backcountry chasing big Muley's. Best of luck and be safe!

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:53 pm

I will be heading in for our first ever full backcountry hunt on Friday with my wife and little brother. Pretty excited! Been a long time coming since I finally bought everything to be able to stay for a couple of days in. Looking at about an 8 mile hike into where we have been seeing some dandy bucks. Hopefully me and my new bow can make something happen!! Either way, I am way excited to get out there and try! Best of luck to everyone heading out soon!

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:17 am

I promise one of these years I'll be able to pull it off.
You know Jer, we've been telling each other we're going to make it happen for years now........then schedule conflicts just seem to come up. You waiting for me to retire, amigo? :) Enjoy that weekend with Wyatt.....I hope he lets the air out of a good one! Send photos if he does.
Brings a smile to my face knowing Roy is in the Backcountry chasing big Muley's.

Mine too, Brett. Last year I just had a little itch (Coues Deer) I had to finally scratch........but man, I missed the high-country.
Looking at about an 8 mile hike into where we have been seeing some dandy bucks.
That's a good poke with a full pack. Mine trek is a couple miles less, but quite a bit of elevation gain. Good luck up there and I hope you arrow a buck of your dreams.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Turokman123
2 point
2 point

Post by Turokman123 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:39 am

Scouting this weekend. Going to be gettin some elk next weekend (hopefully), then wait for bear season to open :thumb
2010 Strother SR-71 390 grain arrow @ ~60# >-------> 298 FPS with 74.6 KE. Slick Trick Army.
"Is it elk season yet?"

sagehunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sagehunter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Ill probably head out the 24th for 4 or 5 days looking for deer and elk. Then i will go out a few more times closer to the elk rut. My wife will allow me 14 days this season give or take.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:45 pm

I thought this was going to be a lesson on how I can get within 30 yards of my buck. :)) Oh well, good luck on your adventure next week. :thumb
There's always next year