Fishlake muzzleloader bull

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
dirtbikercr250
Spike
Spike

Fishlake muzzleloader bull

Post by dirtbikercr250 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:31 pm

IMG954784.jpg
. My wife killed this bull on the 2nd day of the hunt.

On the first morning of the hunt she passed on several nice bulls, one was a big 5x6 that had HUGEG1's probably like 24" or longer. She said not on the first morning. The next was a nice heavy 6x6 that had a weird beam, it grew just above the eye. It made him really wide, but he lacked in tine length. She said he is kinda ugly. We were in the middle of the herd for several hours and the bulls were bugleing and fighting like crazy. It was an awesome experience, that we both will never forget. That evening we decided to try a canyon that we knew had tons of elk in. I knew it was going to be a long hike, but I seriously underestimated how far it was...(whoops) Our plan was to stay high on the ridgeline and listen for bugles, and if one sounded big we would go after it. Well30minutes into the hike we herd a Growler in the bottom of the canyon, and off the top we went. We spotted the bulls cows about 150 yds away so we stopped and waited for almost an hour, and the bull never bugled again so we decided to head back up to the top of the ridge. We no longer got to the top, and we herd another bull further down the canyon near the bottom. He had the weirdest sounding bugle I have ever heard it was more like a MOAN... So down the hill we went again. Thistime we metthe bull in the bottom, he crossed the creek at what I thought to be 250 yds. We were out in the open so I told her to move down about 50-60 yds and get a rest on a log. When she got steady I cow chirped to stop him broadside. I told her to aim at the top of his shoulder, BANG!! the bull just walked away. She reloaded, and we went to where I last seen him and we found a little blood. We followed it for about 200 yds until it got to dark on us. There wasn't much blood to follow either. We decided that we'd come back in the morning. We started hiking out on a good horse trail, but we lost that trail shortly after, and ended up in the thickest crap I have ever seen... After about an hour of crawling through the oak. I decided to cross the creek and see if the other side was and less thick. As I was about to cross it I herd a loud GROWL in the willows. I told my wife that it was a moo cow. (she knew better) so I chucked a rock in the direction of the growl, and gave a big yell of my own. I figured I scared it off, so after a minute I went to cross it again, it let out another loud GROWL... Holy crap it must be a bear or mt lion. She.../wedecided to climbup the thick oak side hill and get as far away from that GROWL as possible. Anyways after some minor disagreements about which path to crawl through, we made it to the fourwheeler sometime after 10pm, and back to camp at 11. I was pretty sure that my wife was done hunting after that episode, but boy was I wrong. Next morning my wife, her brother, and me went back to where we lost the blood trail. After2 hoursof looking we gaveup.Ihad misjudged the yardage on her shot by 50-75yds (my bad) On our way back up to the fourwheelers we herd a couple bugles. One sounded kinda strange, and my wife says thats my bull. We moved in closer and he kept (moaning) Finally we got to within 75 yds and he pegged us. My wife and the bull had a 15 min stare down with no clear shot. The bull had about 7-8 cows with him that never saw us. Finally my wifedecidesto getup and moveleft soshecould get a clear shot. The bull barks and then lets out a (moan)bugle and BANG!!! the bull takes off on a 100yd death march. Ironically he piled up lessthat100ydsfrom wherewe losttheblood trailearlier. As we were skinning him we found that she had grazed him in the leg on her first shot the night before. Iam so proud of my wife, she never complained about the hike,and even packed out 2 heavy packs of meat. I learned 2 valuable lessons on this hunt about my wife. 1)she is tuff 2)she can shoot. Many Thanksto her brother Nolan, her dad Kenny, and my Dad Jim for all the help on this fun hunt.
Attachments
IMG954813.jpg

a_bow_nut

Re: Fishlake muzzleloader bull

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:10 pm

That's a good looking bull.

Gongrats.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:44 am

Congrats, nice looking bull.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:50 am

Right on DIRTBIKER's wife!!
sounds like you got a good one on your hands:)
my wife has a bull tag coming up in about 3-4 weeks, hopefully she can wrap her tag around one too.
great job and thanks for sharing!

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:15 pm

Congratulations to the Mrs........very nice wapiti!
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

dirtbikercr250
Spike
Spike

Post by dirtbikercr250 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Sorry guys for the spelling, and grammar, and lack of spacing... I typed it all from my phone. Thanks for the comments.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:36 pm

Awesome job, love the dark color of his antlers. Very nice bull, congrats to the Mrs. 10sign:

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Post by buckykm1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Great Bull, congrats to both of you.

Kevin

zachvu
Spike
Spike

Post by zachvu » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:06 pm

That's a long type for the phone! I love the dark rack!!

dirtbikercr250
Spike
Spike

Post by dirtbikercr250 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Here's a couple more pictures. Enjoy!
3123elk10.jpg
3123elk10.jpg (171.63 KiB) Viewed 9643 times
Attachments
8817elk9-1.jpg
8817elk9-1.jpg (55.64 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
258elk12.jpg