My 2012 Review..

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
ColoradoV
Fawn
Fawn

My 2012 Review..

Post by ColoradoV » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:48 am

As we all look to next year I thought I would post a report of my 2012 season. I know it has been awhile but I figured better late than never and a good way to introduce my self.

The starts early for me and I try to get out and scout as much as I can. The pics will start in Mid july and through my archery season. Hope you all enjoy.

This set was from the first time that I went out scouting with my father. He still gets around real well for a 68 year old!

We found a group of bucks that should have some potential.

They had a long way to go or grow but it was fun to see some on the 1st night of scouting!

The next time I was able to make it out my wife and 13 mo old daughter joined. While we did not see too many bucks the fun meter was off the charts!

I will add some more pics as I get the time.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My 2012 Review..

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:07 am

Welcome, sweet stuff so far. Look forward to more.

ColoradoV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ColoradoV » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks.

The first time I was able to go out for a long overnight hike I found a bachelor herd that I knew I would have to come back and look at..

These pics were taken in mid to late July.

ColoradoV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ColoradoV » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:59 pm

It was not until the last week of July that I found the first "big" buck of the season..

If you look closely both of his brow tines split. I knew this guy had a good chance of getting real close to the 30" wide mark by the time the season started.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks for sharing.
Is that last buck pregnant?
There's always next year

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:05 am

yes ridge, it's quit obvious that that buck is pregnant..........:) geeze.

ColoradoV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ColoradoV » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:34 am

Yea the bucks this summer looked very fat on the summer range. With the extremely mild winter we have had so far around SW Colorado I would bet a very mild winter kill. Temps were almost in the 40's yesterday at 10k ft...

Once it gets to August it is time to get a bit more serious. I spent over 30 days total scouting every year and this year would be no different.

Now that I had a #1 buck to hunt we have called the one above splits due to the split brow tine and he was #1 going into August so it was time to bump him from the top!! Time to find a bigger buck and in the first week of August turned up a buck that would bump old split down to #2...

He was always with this guy.

The pics do not do this buck justice he was a true 190 class typical by the season with great mass!

Now after looking at the pics again I think this guy may be pregnant as well :).. I had also had a couple of hunters who were scouting elk say they ran into a huge buck in another part of the unit that I should spend time looking for. You boys pry know stories of big bucks are a dime a dozen but I decided to spend the next few days I had looking for the new buck and give the #1 and #2 buck on my list time to chill with no pressure.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:11 pm

loving it so far!

Huntnfool7
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Huntnfool7 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Great pictures and a good story to go along with it.

ColoradoV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ColoradoV » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:56 pm

Well as I did not want to drive the long distance to check out a "rumor" - the next day I checked out a basin that I knew had good bucks in the past. This guy was the biggest in the basin but as you can tell the pics are a loooooong way off. Needless to say his guy got my attention! Say hello to #3!

Maybe it was the double neck patch or the great cape but this buck I promised myself I would hunt this year!

Not bad for a 3x3.

Then I got a text message with some pics from the elk hunters........