Young Female Needs Guidance in CO, LOL!

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
AliGee
Fawn
Fawn

Young Female Needs Guidance in CO, LOL!

Post by AliGee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Hey Colorado men!

First off, the only thing I know about hunting is how secretive hunters are about their spots...
I don't have a single friend who hunts, hence why I'm coming here.

I'm interested in doing a little bit of elk shed hunting because
A. The snow sucks this season and it sounds like it would be fun.
B. I work for Big Dogs Huge Paws, a giant breed rescue and we have an extremely limited budget. (No sorry, they won't be mounted, they'll actually be used...)

Sidenote: In case it helps my cause at all, I'm a very talented dirtbiker and have been riding my whole life. I've tackled some pretty extreme terrain, so that's not really a problem. I also have a GPS and have quite a few backcountry winter/summer survival certs... so don't you worry about that!

I live in Breckenridge but I'm willing to travel.

If any of you would be willing to PM with a little info (anything you can give me) it would be greatly appreciated. I'm a complete beginner and any guidance would be useful. I'm not looking to take all your sheds; I'm too small to do that. ;-)

I did look up GMU's and I now understand that, but that's the extent of it, ha!

Thanks ya'll! girl<<
Last edited by AliGee on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

brn2hunt
4 point
4 point

Re: Young Female Needs Guidance in CO, LOL!

Post by brn2hunt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Welcome to the site! I would love to help but I am in the wrong state. Good luck and have fun!
"Ne A La Chasse"

AliGee
Fawn
Fawn

Post by AliGee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:22 pm

brn2hunt wrote:Welcome to the site! I would love to help but I am in the wrong state. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you! It's nice to get a warm welcome! :D

I was worried about posting for help because all I hear is how hush hush hunters are. I figured since I'm not too threatening being an inexperienced lady, I might get a little help... Haha!

Bonehead_26
Spike
Spike

Post by Bonehead_26 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 am

Welcome, id like to help ya out but I'm from Utah so I'm not much help to ya either

elkantleraddict
Fawn
Fawn

Post by elkantleraddict » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 pm

I would like to help too, but I'm from New Mexico. Welcome to the site. ::wel

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm

I can tell you where to find elk during the hunting seasons but not where to find sheds. I'm only interested in the meat and not the antlers, sorry. Just figure out where the various winter ranges are and go out in the early spring AFTER the elk have left to higher elevations.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

AliGee
Fawn
Fawn

Post by AliGee » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:21 pm

ABert wrote:I can tell you where to find elk during the hunting seasons but not where to find sheds. I'm only interested in the meat and not the antlers, sorry. Just figure out where the various winter ranges are and go out in the early spring AFTER the elk have left to higher elevations.

I thought I read somewhere that it's best to look in their migratory paths between their summer and winter grounds? I could be mistaken. Thanks for the input! =)

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:33 am

Can't help you in CO sorry. But Welcome to the Madness.
I don't have a single friend who hunts, hence why I'm coming here.
So you ready hunt? :)

What you going to use Sheds for if you find them? Dog chews? Special Deer Antler Spray for "Ray Lewis" healing. lol

Sorry I couldn't resist. I hope you find some, let us know if you do.

I'm no expert but in my opinion, most Deer and Elk shed ON the wintering grounds. So that would be my #1 spot, traveling routes back
to summer range would be my 2nd choice. Elk might be higher depending on weather and snow depth.

WV Elk
Fawn
Fawn

Post by WV Elk » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:35 pm

I live clear across the country but may be able to give you some coordinates. I hunt gmu54 and we always leave with 10-12 sheds picked up in just 7 days hunting. We are not activley shed hunting, but they seem to be concentrated in a couple of sage points. Sheds and elk are gps'd. It may be worth searching. PM if the gunnison area is your area.

Colo shed man
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Colo shed man » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Just joined this Forum, I do live in Colorado. Am a experienced Shed Hunter in the South Fork & Creede area. Would love to teach you What I know, and to take you in the field for some hands on training. Can take you to some virgin areas outside my hunting areas if you have the vehicle or a motorcycle to travel into these areas. Can send photos of some sheds found in the last three years if you would like.