Pronghorn hunting hardness

Talk anything related to Antelope
9er
Monster
Monster

Re: Pronghorn hunting hardness

Post by 9er » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Springville Shooter wrote:I use a blow dart gun and poison from an exotic frog.----------SS
Very effective way to hunt them!!
Watch your top knot!

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 am

hardy hardy har har thanks for your sarcasam but i am serious
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Genesis 27:3 King James Version

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:14 am

When hunting antelope, a range finder is your best friend. It is difficult to judge range in the open country that antelope prefer. Especially if you're not used to looking at antelope and realizing how big or small their body size is. Once you have an accurate range, you need to know the drop of your particular load from your particular rifle. You can ONLY get that from actually going to the range and shooting it at paper targets at various ranges. Once you have that info, get off the bench and start shooting from kneeling and seated positions, with and without shooting sticks or a bipod. If you do these things, shooting an antelope is as easy as it gets.

One more thing. A 243 or a 25-06 is the most you want to use for antelope. Anything bigger and you're just soaking up recoil for no good reason. And that makes shooting just that much harder.
Stupidity is expensive

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:44 pm

thanks for that tip marksman
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Antelope can be very predictable when certain features of terrain and barrieres funnel them through travel areas. Places where they cross a fence are great if you can find them. Narrow canyons can be good as well. Also, if they don't get a ton of pressure, they can be curious and have been known to stand and look at anything that isn't a human silouette. The most famous decoy is the white flag on a stick. Antelope can also be called. Google antelope calls and pick one up. I have one and it works great for getting semi-spooked antelope to stop in their tracks.They sound like a wheezing emphazima patient. Use terrain to get close for a shot. Antelope are at their best in wide open flat country. If you have any topography at all, you are at a huge advantage. If you don't want to use a blowdart gun with the poison from an exotic frog, then pick any light caliber rifle that you shoot well and practice out to 300 yards. 100 grain bullets work very well from any 243-257 caliber rifle. Big stuff works great to but is not necessary. Shooting sticks that get you above waist-deep sage can be a major help.------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:25 pm

thanks to you too

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:50 am

it is hard to draw

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:05 pm

i looked at daw odds

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:47 pm

Springville Shooter wrote:I use a blow dart gun and poison from an exotic frog.----------SS
:))

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Curtisshootsdeer wrote:i looked at daw odds
What state and what unit? We bought our Wyoming Antelope buck tags as leftover from the draw. I think there were around 180 leftover tags for the unit we went to. Either way, you'll have a blast hunting them.