Refinishing wood slats on open trailer

Talk related to anything & everything.
JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Refinishing wood slats on open trailer

Post by JimmyB » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:03 am

Can anyone tell me the best/correct way to refinish the wood deck plates on an open trailer? Trailer is only 3 years old, no rotting, just the surface is all scuffed and scraped up and starting to splinter on a few edges from many, many loads of busted up concrete. I've been told a few different ways to do it but then hear that's the wrong way to do it.

My first thought was to sand it down and coat it with a waterproof oil-based sealant but I was told that's the worst most incorrect way possible (I work on cars not wood). One guy told me to just pressure wash it, let it dry, and coat it with some kind of sap sealant? Wouldn't a little bit of sanding and a couple cans of flex seal do the job? :-k (half way serious)

Has anyone tried using a polymer sheet as a cover plate or actual deck plate? Like ABS, Kydex, or a textured HDPE?

- Jimmy
Shooter McGavin

a_bow_nut

Re: Refinishing wood slats on open trailer

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:14 pm

If you are using the trailer for jobs that will keep chewing up the wood like hauling broken up cement then I would just clean it up let it dry and cover it with some kind of water sealing treatment (Thompsons) that doesn't cost much since the boards will have to be replaced after awhile any way.

The two biggest threats to you trailer bed will be things that break the boards and water.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Post by JimmyB » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:24 am

No more cement for this trailer. Only things this trailer will be hauling now is my 4 wheeler and hunting/camping gear and hopefully a dead buck and bull!
Shooter McGavin

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 am

I recently about 3 months ago just finished your exact project on mine. I used a product called "RESTORE", bought it from Home Depot, it's kinda expensive. Really thick stuff and takes 2 coats to complete, so more work. But it has a rough/grip finish to it which I liked and wanted. I was fairly happy with so far, but first time user. Just my 2 cents.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:41 am

We have a bunch of trailers like that at work and we just sand them and put a coat or two of linseed oil on them once a year. We use them to haul quads, troughs, fencing material etc. It seems to hold up pretty well, and only takes half hour or so to reapply the oil.