Mallard Nest

Talk related to anything & everything.
derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Mallard Nest

Post by derekp1999 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 am

I was doing a little yardwork this past weekend & discovered that a hen mallard (I'm assuming mallard... not really a duck guy) has made a nest in my backyard. I have a little used sideyard where I usually pile up branches and things over the fall & winter in anticipation of spring clean-up. Well I went to get rid of the pile of branches and the hen flew out from underneath the pile when I got too close. I discovered then nest of 12 eggs and decided that getting rid of the pile of branches can wait. The hen has returned and has been on the nest since I disturbed her.
We're nowhere near a lake or pond so I was a little concerned about what they would do once they hatch, so I made a quick call to the DWR this morning. The officer I talked to seemed pretty casual about it and said that the ducklings would be there for a little while then they'd move on. My kids are super excited to see the baby ducks.
Attachments
IMG_20140419_111147_491.1.jpg
IMG_1513.1.jpg
IMG_1512.1.jpg
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mallard Nest

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 am

Heck that's awesome, agreed your kids and self will love it. I've seen it before and it's very cool, just not in my yard. :)