Muzzleloader Use in Colorado

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
MooseCravings
Fawn
Fawn

Muzzleloader Use in Colorado

Post by MooseCravings » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:02 am

I am a newbie to western hunting and I have a question regarding the use of blackpowder in Colorado (as I am sure many others do). I do understand the basic regs, such as iron sights only, no sabots, and 50 cal and larger for elk, 40 and larger for bear and deer. I shoot a 50 cal so no worries there. Also my projectile must weigh 210 grains at a minimum. This much I understand.
Having said all that, the one question I have is along the lines of what powder is legal and what is not. For starters, many of my friends use White Hot as propellant. Looking at the regs, I see that pelletized systems are illegal. However, further down it says "black powder and black powder substitutes are legal." So, having said all that, I am finally getting to my question; would White Hot fall under the category of a pelletized system or a black powder substitute? I apologize if this is a dumb question. Thanks for your help in advance!

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Re: Muzzleloader Use in Colorado

Post by TheHardWay » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:31 am

It is a pellitized system, and therefore it is not legal here.

MooseCravings
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MooseCravings » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:10 am

Thank you very much. That is what I was thinking but thought I would ask to verify.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:49 pm

All loose black powder, and sub loose powders are legal. There was a time when they thought of banning BH 209, but it never went through.
What they did do, and not everybody is aware of it. They banned inline muzzleloaders for a year. They got so much pressure they gave in, and made them legal. They like to think they have a primitive season, but I don't agree it's even close to primitive.
Keep your nose in the wind.

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Muley Stalker wrote: They like to think they have a primitive season, but I don't agree it's even close to primitive.
They, as in the state of Colorado? I don't agree that the CP&W (formally CDOW) touted the ML season as a primitive season. They know good and well that inlines are not considered primitive. In fact inlines are just as 'primitive' as today's compound bows, i.e. not at all. They obviously aren't on the same page as high power rifles, but if you want primitive, then it should be flintlock with loose black powder and patched round balls or long/recurve bows.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:22 am

TheHardWay wrote:
Muley Stalker wrote: They like to think they have a primitive season, but I don't agree it's even close to primitive.
They, as in the state of Colorado? I don't agree that the CP&W (formally CDOW) touted the ML season as a primitive season. They know good and well that inlines are not considered primitive. In fact inlines are just as 'primitive' as today's compound bows, i.e. not at all. They obviously aren't on the same page as high power rifles, but if you want primitive, then it should be flintlock with loose black powder and patched round balls or long/recurve bows.
The DOW does indeed consider the muzzleloader season as primitive. I never said I did. I hunt with a sidelock, BP, and a PRB.
Call them up, and ask them why sabots aren't legal, and you'll get an earful of the season being primitive. Ask the same question about pellets, or a scope. Trust me, if they could get away with banning inlines and BH 209 they would. The muzzleloader season was started, because using one is handicapped compared to using a scoped rifle. You have guys with good vision that are shooting small groups at 250yds with a peep sight. With a scope they're shooting 500yds. That's not much of a handicap anymore. If this keeps up the muzzy season may not enjoy hunting during the elk rut anymore.

btw They feel the same way about compound bows. Some guys are taking shots at 80-90yds now. Do they deserve a whole month to hunt the elk rut?

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Be happy CO does have some standards that must be met to keep the BP season "primitive".

I know of a couple of states that allow .45-70, .444 Marlin and the .35 Whelen during the "primitive" BP season, along with scopes, providing the rifles are single shot only.

There was a fella on here a couple of years ago or so who stated he was going around the country trying to make scopes legal for all BP seasons because his eye sight wasn't what it used to be and basically claimed he was now disabled. Most on here were against what he was trying to push, including me.

I countered that with me being born with color deficient eyesight (read as color blind somewhat) that why wasn't he out the fight for me that would require the states to put blaze orange vests on the critters so I could see them when they weren't moving?

He pretty much left the site after that and never did reply.

The good things is one can still hunt with truly primitive weapons if they choose. I've got both an inline and a percussion. The inline will reach out further and is more accurate, but I tend to like my percussion better.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:38 am

I actually have a special license to use a scope in muzzleloader season here in Colorado due to my vision. I've never used it, and never will. I've stuck to primitive open sights like i've used all my life. I just get closer and closer as my vision has got worse. I lost the sight completely in my right eye, and had to learn to shoot left handed. Now my left eye is getting bad, but i'll stay with open sights, and keep getting closer for the shots. I chuckle when I read guys whining about their vision when I know my vision is worse, and I can use open sights. I've never lost an animal that i've shot, so I see no reason to quit using open sights.

Don't just be a shooter. Be a hunter, and get close. Sneaking up on game (still hunting) is very rewarding. For me anyway.

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Muley Stalker wrote:I actually have a special license to use a scope in muzzleloader season here in Colorado due to my vision. I've never used it, and never will. I've stuck to primitive open sights like i've used all my life. I just get closer and closer as my vision has got worse. I lost the sight completely in my right eye, and had to learn to shoot left handed. Now my left eye is getting bad, but i'll stay with open sights, and keep getting closer for the shots. I chuckle when I read guys whining about their vision when I know my vision is worse, and I can use open sights. I've never lost an animal that i've shot, so I see no reason to quit using open sights.

Don't just be a shooter. Be a hunter, and get close. Sneaking up on game (still hunting) is very rewarding. For me anyway.
Couldn't agree more!
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

MooseCravings
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MooseCravings » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:38 am

I appreciate the input guys. I just want to make sure I am legal and understand everything. I use an inline muzzie and also I use a compound for the bow seasons when hunting white-tails. I agree 100% that compound bows and inlines are not primitive weapons and have mad respect for the guys who shoot the real primitive weaponry.