Bucks Still High in CA's D6?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Kastnblast
Fawn
Fawn

Bucks Still High in CA's D6?

Post by Kastnblast » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:18 pm

Hello, I'm heading back from a job in Reno on Friday, and have a D6 tag. I was thinking about stopping in Bridgeport and hunting the eastern edge of the zone for a couple days.

Does anyone know if the deer are still up high--near the crest--or have they already migrated westward? I've only talked to folks who have hunted that zone, I've heard that the country gets thicker the farther west you go. I would like to hunt some bowls and don't mind hiking a couple miles from a roadway, but don't want to spend hours driving each way each day, so I'm hoping to stick as close as possible to my base camp.

All help appreciated, have a good one out there!

mallard1
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mallard1 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:38 pm

tell me how you did up there! My family has been heading up into the high country around sonora pass since I've been around. Its where I got my first buck, and most of my friends killed their first bucks there too. Nothing too spectacular, although my aunt killed an absolute monster on the west side two years ago.
My two uncles and my aunt headed in there the week after the opener and ended up with two really nice bucks and a little forky, but they saw some weather. Thats never a good sign that high up there. A few weeks later some friends went high again and couldnt find a buck to save their lives. They ended up heading down and seeing a few, but were not able to get a decent shot opportunity.
There are better places in CA, but for me, I will keep going back as long as I'm able. I live in montana now, so things have changed up a bit. I find myself chasing whitetails and bulls now, but definitely miss those muleys and blacktail.

Kastnblast
Fawn
Fawn

Way to Late!

Post by Kastnblast » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:16 pm

We were two storms too late. Set up camp below Pickle Meadows and had to wait for CalTrans to open the pass the following afternoon. When we were able to get up there, there was some fresh, wet snow. Hiked the bowls, along the creeks, over St. Mary's Pass and only saw two or three sets of tracks and no animals save for a coyote.

Went westward but as you know it becomes so thick you can't effectively glass much although I studied several big drainages that been cleared over the years by avalanches.

Oh well, live and learn!