Wolf in in Rocky Mnt national Park?

Talk related to anything & everything.
TheGreatwhitehunter

Wolf in in Rocky Mnt national Park?

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:18 am

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=83292

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK - A large, black wolf could be wandering in the Colorado mountains near the state's historic national park.

If true, this would be one of only a few confirmed sightings since the animals were killed off about 50 years ago.

Jeff Conner, a biologist at the park, says two park volunteers spotted a very big animal walking out of the woods in the Moraine Park area on December 4.

Conner says he checked out the area the next morning and found some large paw prints in the snow. He says the tracks are about the same as wolf tracks he researched at Yellowstone National Park.

Conner is working with the Denver Zoo to photograph the animal and hopefully collect hair and DNA samples. Only with more information can he confirm this animal is a true wolf, not a wolf hybrid or large dog.

"I think it's very exciting," said Fred Wendland, the founder of a wolf sanctuary in Larimer County. "I think it's good for Colorado, I think it's good for the wildlife, and ultimately, I think it's going to be good for humans to appreciate the value that the animals really have."

However, Wendland says he knows some people will be worried and even scared about the animals.

"Wolves don't want to be anywhere around where humans are," he said.

Wolves were reintroduced into Yellowstone National Park about 12 years ago, and any wolves in Colorado likely came from there.

In 2004, a female wolf was hit and killed by a car along I-70 near Idaho Springs. A radio collar she was wearing confirmed she came from Yellowstone.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:21 am

How will Colorado treat these animals of they are wolfs. They will be a species introduced without permission. Just like putting Muskie’s into the Colorado River? I know animals don’t know state borders, Wyoming is having a hard time with the US Fish and Game on de-listing the animals.

V/R
M. Bird

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:57 am

M.Bird wrote:How will Colorado treat these animals of they are wolfs. They will be a species introduced without permission. Just like putting Muskie’s into the Colorado River? I know animals don’t know state borders, Wyoming is having a hard time with the US Fish and Game on de-listing the animals.

V/R
M. Bird
From what I understand, Wolves are federally protected in Colorado. We have had wolves coming into Colorado, same as Utah for a few years now. It won't be long before they start establishing packs. I read a article a while back from some of the people that really pushed to get wolves put back into Yellowstone National Park....the article mentioned....."once wolves are introduced they will spread out to the neighboring states and over time we will have established packs in Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington & Nevada". http://www.defenders.org use to have a bunch of info on their website on the wolves range and damage payments made out to ranchers through their "Trust Fund" but I noticed they removed most of it. I guess the damage "their" wolves are causing was starting to give the wrong impression. :-$ Afterall wolves only kill the old and sick......and rarely kill livestock. Just ask all of the ranchers in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. I'm sure they would agree..... zzz
Last edited by Hiker on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:59 am

Also keep in mind, that they also introduced the southern wolf species in New Mexico and Arizona. So the central rockies are getting hit both from the north and the south.
Hiker

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:50 am

The wolfs they have introduced into New Mexico/Arizona is the Mexican Grey wolf, it is having a hard time establishing the packs, it will be a number of years before they make there way out of the plant area. I was unaware that a species could be protected that did not have a report population? If the species does exist in the area they can repopulate that species. It would not be an introduction of a species. This was a big study down around Wolf Creek pass on the grizzly bear in the early 80’s trying to prove that they where there so they could bring in more. We will have to wait and see how Colorado DWGF handles this one.

Happy Holidays

M. Bird

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:32 am

Interesting stuff, wolves is sure a hot topic and huge to managing and maintaining good wildlife herds.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:32 am

It is a fact, Wolves will spread their range as new packs are established. No question they will spread from the Yellowstone ecosystem. The wolf population is growing rapidly. With good game populations, Colorado within ten years will be homeland for a good number of packs. It will indeed change big game hunting as You know it.

There is a movement here in Minnesota, that the vast Northeastern forests the Superior and the Chippewa. Should be closed to public hunting of big game. Why, You guessed it, humans should not compete with the Timber Wolves for their main food source. It's coming I would bet on it, after all the hunters are far outnumbered by the non hunters. If it happens here it's sure to spread to other National Forests. :>/

sheephunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sheephunter » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:19 pm

A DOW guy told me a couple years ago they were working on a wolf management plan at that time. He said they had no plans to reintroduce wolves, but they knew they better have a management plan in place, otherwise when the wolves DID show up (and DOW knew they would eventually) the feds would dictate to DOW how to manage them. If the wolves show up, then they show up, and I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but these pro predator people who want nothing more than to reintroduce wolves, and make those of us who support wildlife management by buying licenses pay for the whole process, make me wanna hurl. If these people want wolves, let 'em go to Alaska!

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:43 am

Hiker wrote:
M.Bird wrote:How will Colorado treat these animals of they are wolfs. They will be a species introduced without permission. Just like putting Muskie’s into the Colorado River? I know animals don’t know state borders, Wyoming is having a hard time with the US Fish and Game on de-listing the animals.

V/R
M. Bird
From what I understand, Wolves are federally protected in Colorado. We have had wolves coming into Colorado, same as Utah for a few years now. It won't be long before they start establishing packs. I read a article a while back from some of the people that really pushed to get wolves put back into Yellowstone National Park....the article mentioned....."once wolves are introduced they will spread out to the neighboring states and over time we will have established packs in Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington & Nevada". http://www.defenders.org use to have a bunch of info on their website on the wolves range and damage payments made out to ranchers through their "Trust Fund" but I noticed they removed most of it. I guess the damage "their" wolves are causing was starting to give the wrong impression. :-$ Afterall wolves only kill the old and sick......and rarely kill livestock. Just ask all of the ranchers in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. I'm sure they would agree..... zzz
I'm sorry that website should have been http://www.defenders.org
Hiker