TC Icon

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
264MAG
Fawn
Fawn

TC Icon

Post by 264MAG » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Has enyone had a chance to shoot the new Thompson Center Icon? Thinking about getting one if they come
out with a larger selection of calibers.

Great looking gun, just curious about the action, workmanship, out-of-the-box accuracy, Etc?

Any info on the TC .30 caliber?

Thanks guys,
Jay

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Re: TC Icon

Post by silvertip-co » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 am

You might wanna Google it. SomeWHERE I read that they had quality probs, esp with the bolt rusting. I'd seek more info elsewhere before buying. It is a fine looking rifle tho.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:36 pm

man i sure would like to get one also tc Icon 30sws cal's i have not even seen one around yet but you are right they look GREAT :222 ets me excited to get one. but i have not heard of any problems either. would like to know for sure because i am going to get one before next killing season
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:38 am

I have not shot one yet but have handled one and fit and finish looked excellent to me. I think it has a lot of really really nice features and the price is very reasonable. Every review I have read so far has been really good but it is early.

264MAG
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 264MAG » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:58 am

Googled it as Silver suggested and ended up at Cabelas' chat site.
No mention of any rusting but there was alot of descussion about the need for a new .30 cal short cartridge.
The gun also weighs in at just under 8 lbs. unscoped which seems to be pretty heavy for a short action rifle.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 am

They make it in both .308 winchester and the new 30TC which is a little smaller than a .308 with muzzle velocities at 3000 fps with a 150 grain bullet. I am sure they won't offer it for now in any of the 30 cal short mags because they want to promote their new cartridge offering. They did come out with long action format this year with both 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag in the mix.

sureshot
Fawn
Fawn

Post by sureshot » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:03 pm

I bought my TC Icon A month ago. Mounted A 50mm Nicon scope and headed for the range. I removed the bolt,sighted through the barrell and made A minor adjustment to the scope Guess what? On the seventh shot I had A three shot group of less than one-half inch. I am really excited about this gun and can't wait to get it into the woods. I have never shot A factory out of the box rifle that could touch this one. The bolt is as slick as you would want and the balance is great,the trigger pull is like A custom job and I can honestly say this is A great Gun for the money. I bought the 30TC Cal. which shoots great with the only ammo you can get right now(Hornady SST,150 or 165 gr.) The fact that the 30tc cal. ammo is hard to find is about the only negetive that I have so far concerning the Icon. I also know two others that have Icons one is another 30TC and the other is A 308 cal. and both these guns shoot one-half inch groups or less at one hundred yrds. wuth factory ammo.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:59 pm

Thanks for the info Sure shot. what is the price of a box of ammo for the TC i have a friend that bought a 300sws and he says the downfall is the price of the ammo campared to other such rounds
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

sureshot
Fawn
Fawn

Post by sureshot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:01 pm

I bought the 30TC ammo for 21.95 per twenty. This was the same gun shop where I bought the Icon. I think it is to their advantage to keep the price of this ammo as low as possible. If it is overpriced it would kill the sale of this new 30TC cal. Icon. However I found it at another store and the price was 29.00 per box. This has me confused. I think A good guideline to go on would be Midway Shooters Supply which sells theirs for twenty-three and some change. Hope this helps

264MAG
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 264MAG » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:01 am

Sold!!