Nosler failures

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:36 pm

Well, a case can certainly be made for sheding some weight. The variables are many and great and there are a lot of great bullets out there. I really like the Accubonds as well, sciroccos,interbonds etc...

You are the first I have heard with accuracy problems from a tsx. The spitzer boat tail design is pretty inherently accurate. As far as fouling I as well as many others I know sure have not had a problem with it. my post is one example to take as that and that only. I do know that weight retention does equal greater penetration and energy transfer but that does not always matter depending on the game.

As far as accubonds I am not sure there is a better value for a bullet out there right now.

I am a Nosler fan, I switched from Siera Matchkings to Noslers match bullets for my Cross Course shooting a couple a years ago and they give up nothing.

I'm rambling....I'm out.

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:52 am

is there a difference between the accubond and scirroccos?
they look a lot the same to me!
i had the same 8 inches entrance hole last year on my antelope
but i didn't hit the shoulder, only ribs i was using corelokt ultra 180 grainers at approx 3200 fps
a month later the same bullet fragmented on a deer shoulder at 290 yards
approx 2800 fps. i was lucky enough that a small fragment made it trough
and punctured a lung :>/

i'm trying the 150 scirroccos this year, so far accuracy is better, sure hope they'll hold together better too!
they should as the jacket is a lot ticker.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:30 pm

I shot an elk at 255 yards last year with the 150 gr. scirroccos. I hit it a little too far back, about the 2nd or 3rd to the last rib but it left about a 3" exit hole and the bull ran about 80 yards before going down and beeding out.
There's always next year

northern
2 point
2 point

Post by northern » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:45 am

I shoot better, I shoot Berger................lol

Thats what I have been shooting never had a problem with them in the last to years. Well maybe the price is a little much. But I'm happy with them.
Attachments
Picture 004 (Small).jpg
Picture 004 (Small).jpg (60.56 KiB) Viewed 5128 times

cowslayer
Spike
Spike

Post by cowslayer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:20 am

I have jumped back and forth between scirroccos and tsx bullets for my .300 RUM. This year I tried the 180 grain tsx bullets and hit this little doe antelope over 400+ yards away and see what the bullet did when I hit her perfect.

Here is a pic of another doe antelope that I hit quartering away at about the same distance and when I skinned her I found that the bullet appeared to pierce right through maybe not even expanding.

I hit my bull elk a couple of years ago on a follow-up shot at around 100 yards with a 180 scirocco. It blew his shoulder to shreds and did not penetrate the chest cavity at all. I subsequently had to shoot him behind the shoulder in the ribs at 10 feet to finish him off. Talk about a Rodeo.

Torch's dad used my gun this year on his buff with the 180 grain tsx bullets. He said that after they caped the buff, he found two bullets, one that expanded and worked as it should have and one that did not mushroom at all and was as if it was ready to reload.

One shot in the center of the chest from a 180 TSX through a .300 RUM at 40 yards as the bull was coming right into us and my neighbor had filled his LE Bull Elk Tag.

I personally will shoot the sciroccos going forward but I know I can't shoot bull elk in the shoulder at under 200 yards anymore with the sciroccos.

CS
http://www.VIPoptics.com
"When you deserve the Very Best!"

skinner
Fawn
Fawn

Post by skinner » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:33 am

I have shot nosler bt's for year's but have had trouble with them blowing up in the 7mm rem mag and my 300 ultra mag so i swicthed to the scirroccos then back to the accu bond i just prefer the accu bond.Istill shoot the bt in the 270 and 30-06.

skinner
A bad hunting is better than a good day at work

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:31 pm

I posted this same thread on another "hunting" site and dang near got myself banned from it,they called me a liar and insisted I was on a "smear campaign" against Nosler.Nice to see a bunch of honest ,level headed HUNTERS here who arnt afriad to share the truth about one of our favorite brand names,I have been a Nosler-a-holic since i first started reloading at 12,I would still use the partition on any animal in any situation,but their plastic tipped,super accurate "hunting" bullets have their flaws. :thumb

Mack Daddy Muley
Spike
Spike

Re: Nosler failures

Post by Mack Daddy Muley » Mon May 19, 2008 7:09 pm

I don't know what you all are talking about, I've never had a problem with my Nosler Ballistic tips. They are outstanding in my eyes! I reload my own and love what they do to a critter! Maybe you loaded the charge too hot for the bullet. something went wrong with the reload. I like um! :not-worthy
"Save a Mule Deer, Kill a Wolf!"

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon May 19, 2008 10:02 pm

I load well within noslers specs using the NOSLER book,they overate the fps their BTS and ABs can handle with their thin jacket design,they wont handle 7mag loads over 2950 fps unless you are shooting only 300+ yards,enough to slow them down to their designed speed.What they dont tell you is that only the HEAVIEST avaliable bullet in each caliber is recommended nby Nosler for hunting bullets,the rest are considered target/varmint bullets.They may work perfectly in your caliber/load but they do not in the magnum calibers loaded to the FPS that make a magnum caliber worth shooting,unless of course you want a load that only performs correctly at long range,and then its sketchy.

Mack Daddy Muley
Spike
Spike

Post by Mack Daddy Muley » Tue May 20, 2008 9:01 am

I reload for a 300 win mag and have no problems with the Nosler ballistic tips. Last year when i shot my mule deer, i found the perfectly mushroomed bullet on the exit side of the deer. I load the 165 ballistic tips(green tips) with about 71 grains of powder. I can shoot out to 600 yards or I even shot a yote with one at 50 yards and blew his head off. Literally. Not kidding. They do alot of damage! Thats what i want. I dont want my critter running away.
"Save a Mule Deer, Kill a Wolf!"