Hornandy bullets

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Re: Hornandy bullets

Post by wingmaster36 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:17 am

I once had a 300 Weatherby Mark V that didn't like the Sierra's, but would stack 180 Interlocks into 3/4
inch . With that said the Sierra boatails will tend to group a little tighter in more rifles. The hornady's have a longer parallel section that seem to help freebored chambers like the Weatherby's have. My current #1 big game rifle is on a diet of Nosler accubonds, but do to their cost I will be experimenting with the 7mm 160 Sierra's soon. I have had great success with Sierra bullets as far as accuracy goes. I have shot nothing other than coyotes and deer with them so I don't have personal experience on elk/bear/moose with them.
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

ridge
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ridge » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:16 am

I have had good success with the sst's on elk out of my 300 win mag.

dkhunter49
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dkhunter49 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:55 pm

i hate to say this but i lost my faith in hornady. i hope the interbond bullets hold up to all the hipe that is out there for them. i lost a med, size 3by 4 mule deer last season to a 165 sst factory load out of my 300 win mag. i aimed for a lung shot at 265 yards abd smacked him in the shoulder. he picked up his front left and spun a circle twice and took off down the mountain. iwould have thought that outta a 300. i would have broke both shoulders, however i was dumbfounded that he didnt drop in his tracks. several minutes later i herd several shots down the mountain, figured some one else stopped him. when my son and i walked down to the truck, a friend of his and his grandpa saw our truck and figured we were doin the shootin, they saw the buck comimg off the mtn, and jumped out to get a shot didnt make contact with him,and watched him disapear, down the drainage. we talked and they too were shocked a 300 didnt flatten him with a shoulder shot. i have had good luck w/ 140 gr out of my 270. hand loads w/ 140 sp. hornady bullets i guess the rest of the sst rounds will get used for target practice and ill stick to a non plactic tipped bullet.

heiner39
Fawn
Fawn

Post by heiner39 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:49 pm

The only experience I have so far with Hornady ammo has been at the range in the past couple weeks. At 100 yards, I'm getting a 1" 5 shot group with a 150 grain Interbonds out of my 30-06. I think I've found the pill of choice for my deer hunts this fall.

The only ammo I've used to take a deer was a 165 grain Federal Fusion. It performed well on the deer but the Interbond seems more accurate in my gun.

AJ
Fawn
Fawn

Post by AJ » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:58 pm

Hornady bullets are my favorite in my varmint and stadard cartridge guns. For big game in the .243 Win, .25-06 Rem, .260 Rem, .270 Win, .308 Win, and .30-06 Spfld, I like the Hornady Interlok bullets a lot. I have used them at higher velocities but they do some major damage. I like to keep them under 3000 fps. When I grab the magnums, I prefer stouter bullets. My favorite is the Swift Scirocco. I push it 3350 fps in my custom .300 Wby and have taken deer from 10 yards out to a few hundred and it performs superbly.

Deserthorn
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Deserthorn » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:00 pm

I shoot the 165 Hornady interbonds out of my 30-06 they are amazing I love them!!!

Jake

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:08 pm

I just read about the guy that used the 165gr SST out of his 300 mag and had one get away at 265yds. I think that if your going to use that light a bullet at magnum velocities, you really need to think some type premium bullet. Add to the velocity that plastic tip and I think it's a formular for disaster. When the bullet hits, that tip has to go somewhere and the only place it can go is back into the bullet. Seem's I recall that that tip does not rest on the lead core in any bullet that uses them. Instead it get's a bit of a jump ta the core. when that happens, expansion has to be more violent. End result, just as was told. Now had that bullet been a 180gr SST I would guess it would have turned out different.

Tuff time findung fault with Hornady when I think an improper bullet was used.