Barnes Triple Shock

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
9er
Monster
Monster

Barnes Triple Shock

Post by 9er » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:25 am

anyone shoot these? If so, what hads been your experience???

thanks
9er
Watch your top knot!

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: Barnes Triple Shock

Post by m gardner » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:50 pm

They have been accurate in all the rifles I've tried them in and you can get more velocity because of the reduced bearing surface. They kill well too and won't blow up no matter how fast you push them. I'm using them this year to shoot Coues deer and another elk if they give me a tag here in Az. Last elk I shot with one I got about 30 inches of penetration and it went completely through. Scared me though because there were lots of elk around that bull so I checked for more blood trails. I didn't find any luckily.
mark

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:49 pm

I have been shooting the barnes x until this year, i went with the triple shocks!!

i shot a deer at 80 yards, thru the boiler room and the deer never even acted like it was hit, he took off and i had to put 2 more in him, even after that he went about 50 yards

so here is the question, was i too close??? the entrance was about the size of a ping pong ball, and the exit was about the same!!! ive never had this happen before and im stumped as to what happened

9er
Watch your top knot!

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:21 pm

I've shot them the last couple years pretty acurate, and they preformed well at 60 yrds golf ball size entry hole dinner plate exit hole. I'm shooting a .270 around 3000fps.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:56 pm

JBird wrote:I've shot them the last couple years pretty acurate, and they preformed well at 60 yrds golf ball size entry hole dinner plate exit hole. I'm shooting a .270 around 3000fps.
This wounds are NOT on par with the TSX,I have killed MANY deer ,antelope and elk with them and they have by far the best performance I have seen in a bullet.Entry wounds are tiny and exits are quite small,they dont blow big holes in game,they penetrate,expand and drop creitters like a bad habit. 10sign:

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Nonya, sounds like you've shot plenty of critters with them, I've only shot one, but it did drop him in his tracks, sorry it didn't enter and exit like you expected it to.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Might want to recheck your reloading data,TSX's are NOT designed to perform like your one shot with them did.Id like to know how a one piece solid bullet left an entrance wound like you described,let alone the exit,are you sure you shot it with a BARNES TSX?

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:48 pm

TSX is a great bullet! the only down side i see to them-- is if your trying to buy the best, SWIFT is a little better. shoot the A-FRAME and you cant do any better!

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:20 am

I'm with Nonya on this one. They seem to chop things up that the encounter inside the animal not blow holes. I shot 2 mule deer lengthwise just to see what would happen. One was very large the other a 1.5 year old. They were shot with my 338-06 A-Square and a 185 TSX at 2950fps. The bullet exited both and didn't ruin much meat or blow up the stomach. They didn't go far. Just to the ground.
Mark

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:59 am

I don't shoot any premium bullets, just simple cup and cores. But I have to think that the TSX idea is a great one. Now they have the plastic tip which I would think will make it ever better.

I have two thoughts on them; first, the original design was reported to have a tendicity to close the hollow point rather than always open it as planned. The new plastic tip will ensure it will expand every time. My second thought is that they simply cost to much. Good as I believe them to be, I can't find a justification for the extra cost. My cup and core bullets, when properly chosen have never failed me. But for those that don't mind the extra expense, you probably won't regret it. Oh and I wouldn't base a bullets worth on one failure either, everybody has a bad product slip by now and then.

Solid copper bullets are nothing new. P.O. Ackley was turning them in 17 cal many years ago and reported wonderful results out of proportion to the cal size.